Chapter 17

Chloe was sweating bullets. This large elevator seemed small to her in this moment, and she focused on her breathing. What was she going to tell Lucifer? How was she going to tell Lucifer? Would she tell him only a portion of things, or would his enchanting presence get her to spill everything? Wiping her forehead with the back of her good arm, she stares at the ceiling of the elevator. As many times as Chloe has ridden this never before did she notice the mirror at the top. Closing her eyes, she jerks her head back to face the ground. Not opening them yet, she realized it might be a long time before she ever wants to look at her reflection again. The ding rings throughout the empty space notifying Chloe that she has reached her destination. Yet her first thoughts include turning back and not coming back.

"Detective?" Lucifer's voice sounds out, and Chloe allows her eyes to open. The man is standing in the middle of his loft, a drink of his choice cradled in his left hand. Lucifer's eyes are filled with bewilderment and his eyebrows are flying off his face. "What are you doing here this late?" Chloe hadn't even bothered to look at the time. As whips out her phone to check and realizes why the sitter was so tired. The hour is in the AM, and well past any hour anyone should be up.

Chloe opens her mouth to speak to her defense but her words get lost as her eyes attach to Lucifer's physique. While still wearing pants unlike many of her encounters in this apartment before, he was topless. The grooves of hard work are across his abs, and he seems practically hairless. Every line is so clearly defined and Chloe would be a fool to not at least take notice. A sly smile creeps across his handsome face. "Have you come here to entertain me? Or are you going to kick me out of my own apartment this time?"

"Lucifer, I'm-"

"No no," Lucifer cuts her off. "That was rude of me. I'm sorry, I realize earlier was difficult and I probably only made things worse." There is sincerity in his tone and his eyes are soft. Resting his drink on top of the piano, he makes his way slowly over to Chloe. "Why are you here? And how are you holding up?"

"I'm not even sure myself. All roads just seemed to lead me here. Wait - Who are you and what have you done with Lucifer?" Chloe jokingly laughs. But a wave of dread washes over her at the same time. Already after a simple fight, Lucifer is looking at her like she is partially broken and in need of repair. How would he look at her if he knew what was really wrong? And if she already wasn't overthinking things another wave of uncertainty hit her. What if I am just crazy? What if I am so off and this burn just came from something else?

Lucifer's laugh fills the room. "Yes it would seem those sessions with Dr. Linda have really been paying off. She is...teaching me things. Like emotions and behavior not only of my own but to recognize it in others as well. Things like body language and observation and lately we have even been exploring my talents."

Chloe stares into this changed man and simply shakes her head. "What do you mean?"

"Oh you know," Lucifer chuckles. At this moment he looks like an excited four year old. His shoulders keep moving with giddiness. "The hidden desires. We are evolving it! We are working on a type of language through eye contact and what it can say about a person."

Taking several steps into the loft, Chloe stares up at Lucifer. "What are mine saying?" Chloe asks out of curiosity. Before listening to his answer, Chloe can't stop herself from looking over her shoulder to ensure she was the only one who got out of that elevator. To make sure no one had followed her, supernatural or not.

Lucifer straightens his posture and clears his throat as Chloe just continues to stare forward at him.

"Well to begin Detective, I would almost say that you are experiencing a serious discomfort. Not just that however," Lucifer begins. He blinks and refocuses. Something is off, Lucifer's mind is telling him. He wants nothing more than to switch to his other eyes and check on her with them. At least if he activated his real devil eyes he would be able to see any entities surrounding her. He hoped there was none, but something was so different about the Detective in this moment. Lucifer felt a need to protect her but he couldn't even identify what from. "I'm detecting anger. I'm detecting fear Detective. Do I scare you?" Lucifer questions.