Epilogue

One Week Later...

"Every word I've said, you know I'll always mean. It is the world to me, that you are in my life..." Love In The Dark by Adele

xxxxxxxxxx

Lucifer...

This man was always the first thing on her mind. It didn't discriminate by what day or hour, Chloe was always thinking of Lucifer. Even in those last moments all Chloe could think of was Lucifer. How she was so comfortable in his arms as he embraced her. It took her mind off the excruciating pain when he held her so close. It was the first time that day she had felt safe. When she saw his own tears she hoped Lucifer wouldn't blame himself for her actions. This wasn't his fault. Her last word was his name, and she didn't want it to be any other way.

As she sat up in her own bed she reached her left arm far above her head in a large stretch while using her right arm to keep her blanket pressed to her chest. It had been a while since Chloe's sleep had treated her as well as it did last night. Switching her arms to finish her stretch, Chloe thought to herself that for once she actually felt refreshed and ready to begin her day. As she brought her arm back down, they fell before her and her eyes dropped to them. They focused on the vertical line on her right arm. A still quite deep cut that was just starting to heal into a scar. Chloe had no doubts that the scar would remain, always there to remind her of what has happened in her life quite like the bullet wound in her shoulder and the scalpel cuts on her abdomen. But Chloe wasn't afraid of the sight of them anymore. Instead, Chloe considered herself to be as decorated as any other officer in the precinct.

She lightly gripped her wrist, running her thumb over the still slightly painful mark. However she wasn't wincing in pain, she was smiling in victory. When she made this mark Chloe didn't exactly plan on coming back from it. Before the blade went in, she had already explored every option. Though throughout her life she had always known suicide wasn't the answer, she couldn't let herself damage anything or anyone else. To say Chloe was completely at peace with the decision would have been a blatant lie. Her mind struggled at the thought of leaving everyone behind, and the thought of dying alone.

That was when Lucifer had run in. She didn't want him to see her like this, nor did she want the chance of hurting her like the prophecy in Chloe's mind. But something about the way his strong arms held her as she went under was comforting. While she wished he didn't have to be the one to find her, she was glad for the company. The last thing she remembered was his voice in the darkness, singing to her the same song they had danced to just days before. It put her mind at ease even if only for a few moments. Chloe closed her eyes right now remembering it all...

She remembers waking up in the hospital, surrounded by her mother, daughter, and Dan. She remembers the steady beat on the monitor above her, all the hugs and kisses. Lucifer had told them all an amazing story about Chloe trying to catch a bad man and during the struggle the man had pinned her down. During the struggle for the weapon Chloe had ended up injured, and when she started to bleed out that the man had run away and when Lucifer caught up to her, the man was gone and he called for an ambulance.

But Chloe knew better, she just wouldn't tell anyone. It was best that everyone believed that had happened, if they knew she had tried to commit suicide she could have lost her job or worse. After she had visited with everyone in her family Lucifer was standing at the doorway to her hospital room. "Promise me you'll stop finding ways to put yourself in here," he had began with a small voice before he cracked a smile. "The place is absolutely dreadful and it smells worse then hell. Honestly wouldn't you rather spend the night somewhere better...like my place?" Something about him seemed...brighter than usual.