Chapter 9

Lucifer leans against his car, tapping his foot to the anxious beat of his heart. It was probably up somewhere at one hundred beats per minute, and his leg was almost feeling numb at the extent that his foot hadn't stopped in minutes on end. Detective Douche is taking awfully long to get here, Lucifer's brain keeps telling him. The thoughts in his head were also allowing him to fantasize about what he was going to do to that sick bastard Thomas. Killing him would be too easy, he had to rip him limb from limb. Curl his fingers around that throat until he the man turned blue in the face, then only let go long enough to catch a couple breaths before repeating the action over and over again. Cutting off various extremities, in hopes that each one hurts like..well...hell. Only when Lucifer had finished with him, would he be welcomed into hell with open arms, and blazing fire-

A cars tires screech as they spin around the corner. The brakes squeak so loud it causes Lucifer's right eye to flutter in place of the pain in his ears. Another squeak as the springs in the door open, and Lucifer can't take any more noise from this piece of shit car Dan drives. Thankfully the door shuts quickly and Dan runs out. His pajama bottoms are long, and he looks like he just threw on a jacket and drove. Even if he had, it still took too much time for him to get here. The clock was still ticking, and Lucifer wondered quickly if Chloe was okay.

"I'm here. What are we looking at?" Dan asks frantically.

"There is a large amount of glass on the pavement, and blood. The blood sweeps into tire marks and then nothing," Lucifer explains.

"From the looks of all the other windows, I think there must have been a confrontation between Chloe and her attacker, Somehow in struggle, they fell with enough force to shatter the glass. The blood could be from a number of things, and seeing as how there are two piles, I would guess it is from both parties. We need swabs to make sure before we continue with the investigation, otherwise anything we do after this could wind up up in court," Dan explains, pulling two swabs out of his pocket. "Any indication as to who the attacker was?"

"Thomas," Lucifer answers. "We were investigating what was almost like a serial killer, and we finally cracked it. Or Chloe did-"

"Where were you?" Dan accuses.

"Chloe told me to go back to the club, and that she would finish the scan herself. But when I went away, I felt like I needed to come back. I went to lab and the results were complete and she left me a clue as to where she was, so I came here to find this gruesome sight."

"As her partner, why did you leave in the first place?" Dan smiled slyly. He was looking at Lucifer with all the hate Lucifer could guess the man could conjure. What makes this man so superior to me? I'm the damned Devil for crying out loud! Lucifer's own stops weren't stopping, and it was too late to stop his horrible reply.

"As her devoted partner, why did you hit her like she was a punching bag?" Lucifer knew he shouldn't have said it. But he did, and there was no turning back now.

Dan's eyes bulged larger than that of insects, and in Lucifer's mind that was exactly what this man was. An insect, vermin, something he held deep hatred for. Dan raises his finger as if to make his argument, but only breaths come out in huffs. Speech is something that seems incapable. He finally lowers his hand, and turns around. Running his other hand down his long face, he hears the man whisper, "I never intended to hurt her. I never thought I would be that kind of man. Consumed with rage once intoxicated, unable to control my actions. It's like the devil himself found his way within me-"

"Oh hell no," Lucifer stops him. "Don't blame me for your incompetence and weakness. I may be Satan, but even I know there is a fine line you shouldn't cross. Hitting a lady, especially one so wonderful as Chloe, is worse than any sin. And hitting a child, is even worse. Men like you deserve to burn forever-"