Chapter 12

"Everything changed me..."

Love In The Dark -Adele

The Intensive Care Unit in the Los Angeles Medical Center reeks of the smell of death and antiseptic. Currently, Lucifer's right knee is bouncing up and down as he sits in the plastic chair. The devil himself is sitting here in a hospital, waiting to see a saved innocent's life for the first time since they were separated.

His thoughts kept rushing back to those small intense moments in the ambulance. Even as he was holding her hand, begging her to stay awake, she had coded twice. Chloe's once bright blue eyes shut, and her body began seizing, attacking itself. The doctors had shocked her twice, and Lucifer had felt his own eyes water. His attachment to this human may have been impractical and un-explainable, but it was strong. Once out of the ambulance, the doctors literally had to hold Lucifer back from the doors. They wheeled her away behind thick doors, doctors shouting things that flew right over Lucifer's head. Nothing sounded good, and everything clicked into place including the lock clicking into place as they shut. His hand swung behind him and Lucifer had to sit down before he gave out. Lucifer had stayed that entire day in the waiting room, staring at the blank walls and floors. Waiting for any news, good or bad. Dan had arrived shortly after, with a skiddish Trixie as his second shadow. Together they all waited, no words needing to be said for hours, until Trixie could stand the silence no more.

"What happened to Mommy?" The child asked Lucifer. The words shattered Lucifer and Dan, both of them not wanting to answer. Their heads hung towards the ground.

"She was in an accident," Lucifer decided to tell her. Not meeting her eyes, he realized his answer wasn't a complete lie.

"Is she going to be okay?" Trixie asked also. When Lucifer couldn't even give an answer besides gawking noises of impaired speech, Trixie just latched onto his arm, hugging it with desperation. Lucifer didn't even mind or react. Should this woman die, she was leaving so many behind in her warpath. So many lives in which she had touched, leaving unintentional permanent scars. Tears slowly fell down the child's face, and Lucifer even took his thumb and wiped them away softly. The child in front of him was a part of Chloe, and until they would learn the outcome, he was going to treat Trixie with the utmost respect.

It took a full twelve hours before the doctor approached them all. Despite the long list of injuries he went through, he revealed that Chloe was in a stable condition. At the time, he had nothing left to lose and in relief Lucifer fell to his knees. His head fell into his hands and he allowed himself to fully breathe in and out. Trixie came up beside him and hugged him tightly from the side. The only issue was that Chloe was in the Intensive Care Unit, because of her injuries and because she coded twice. For now it was family only and despite his best efforts and arguments, Lucifer was denied entry. Forced to stand back as Dan and Trixie went first, Lucifer stormed out of the facility. He knew if he stayed he would do something irrational, so he forced himself to leave.

That night, Lucifer closed LUX to have a silent night alone. Even now, he couldn't remember how many bottles of alcohol he went through. Not that it had any effect on how he was feeling. Going onto his balcony, he stared at the night sky. Looking up at heaven, Lucifer muttered a "Thank You," to his dear ol' dad. Lucifer had received the call from Dan early the next morning. It appeared as though Detective Douche' had pulled a string or two and got Lucifer visiting privileges.

And now here he sits, his knee not stopping even as his hand tries to force it to the ground. Lucifer is nervous to see Chloe, wondering how she looks. Just because she is stable doesn't mean that she could have further permanent injuries not mentioned before. What if she is paralyzed and can never walk again? What if all the coding caused a heart failure in need of repair? Something told Lucifer he didn't want to know what that sicko Thomas had done to Chloe's interior.