Chapter Twenty-Five

A few signatures and warnings from the doctor later and Phil was set to go home. Max held his hand as they followed Dan to the parent's car that was waiting for them out the front of the hospital. It was a sunny afternoon and the sunlight reflected off of the thin layer of snow that coated the ground.

"Do you remember outside?" Max asked.

"Yes I do." Phil laughed.

"Do you remember grandma and grandpa's car?" Max asked as Dan opened the back door.

"Yes."

"Do you-"

"That's enough from you for now." Dan laughed and sat the boy in the car seat.

"I have an important question!" Max shouted. Dan moved out of the way and let Phil get in the back with Max. Phil noticed his change in mood and pulled him down again so he could whisper to him.

"We'll have our own time later." he whispered and pressed a kiss to his cheek. Dan just smiled and walked around to the other side of the car.

"How many fingers am I holding up?" Max held up his entire hand to Phil.

"4. Obviously." he laughed.

"You really are better!" Max grinned.

"Ready to go home?" Phil's dad asked from the driver's seat.

"Don't I have to pick up my things from your place?" Phil asked.

"Martyn already brought your stuff over. We thought you might want to get settled right away." his mother said.

"Thanks, mum." Phil smiled. He looked out the car window as they drove towards the apartment. Dan looked over at him and had a sickening feeling of the night of the car crash again.

"Phil." Dan said quickly.

"Hm?" Phil turned to him.

"Hold my hand please?"

"Sure." Phil smiled a little, looking a little confused, but reached over Max and took Dan's hand in his. "You're sweating." Phil whispered.

"Just don't look out the window. It-It just reminds me."

"Reminds you? Of what?"

"That I crashed the car and hurt you."

"What?"

"I wasn't looking where I was going because I was staring at you and I caught some ice and panicked and hit the guy." Dan took a shaking breath.

"Okay." Phil leaned over Max, pressing his other hand over the boy's eyes, and kissed the frightened man. Man giggled and peeked through Phil's fingers, smiling peacefully at his two dads who were finally happy again.

Max wouldn't let Phil go when they got into the apartment. He held his hand and hugged his legs and sat on his lap no matter what they were doing. As they sat down at the table for dinner, Max tried climbing onto the chair with Phil.

"We have to sit at our own spots at the table, you know that." Dan told him. Max frowned and curled into Phil.

"Just for today." Phil whispered. Dan sighed and just set the plates on the table. Max let Phil feed him little pieces of meat and potatoes. Dan watched them expressionlessly. He didn't eat much that night and just kept his eyes on Phil and the very happy five year old.

"Can we watch a film?" Max asked through a mouthful of food.

"Tomorrow. Tomorrow we'll have a whole movie day." Dan mumbled, piling up the plates underneath his still filled one.