Chapter Thirty-Three

A/N *Stretches* *Takes a deep breath* *Hands each of you a tissue* You're probably going to need it. I cried while writing this.

Outfits above because why not lol. (I'll tell you later when to play the song while ready to add some dramatic effect!)

Ready? Here we go.

~~

As it was late evening, city hall was closed and the front court yard was empty. Dan and Phil walked together hand in hand towards the front doors. They didn't know where they had to go because Ket never said anything about directions so they were pretty much walking aimlessly around.

Phil was scared and he clutched Dan's hand and trudged along behind him, chewing on the end of his sleeve on his other hand. Dan peered in the window of the front doors.

"It's empty. I think we got tricked." Dan sighed and turned to Phil.

"You're kidding." Phil frowned.

"Let's go home." Dan started walking back the way they came.

Phil hesitated, letting go of Dan's hand.

"Phil? You coming?"

"I don't want to just leave. We came all the way here and I want him to fix me." Phil said sternly.

"He's some sort of con-artist, Phil. You have to see that."

"I want my brain back! I'm going in there with or without your help but I really wish you'd come with me."

Dan blew out a puff of air and looked around the empty courtyard.

"Please, Dan." Phil whispered.

"Okay. But if we get arrested for breaking and entering or Ket steals our kidneys to sell on the black market, I'm just going to say 'I told you so'."

"Thank you!" Phil sighed and relief and hugged him tightly. "Thank you."

"Let's get on with it." Dan tried the handle on the door and it open easily. The two guys froze and exchanged a curious glance.

"You're older!" Dan said quickly and pushed Phil inside first.

"Wow. How gentlemanly of you." Phil shook his head and chuckled as he rolled his eyes.

Dan slunk in behind him. They both looked up at the dark atrium curiously and pressed tight together. Phil felt for Dan's hand, making the younger one squeak.

"Phil. Not the time or place!"

"Sorry!" Phil snatched his hand back from Dan's pants. "I was trying to hold your hand."

"You could just ask and not feel me up."

"I'm sorry." Phil stuck his tongue out at him. Dan took Phil's hand and the two of them started walking farther into city hall.

"There you are! I was worried you weren't going to show up." Ket said from the top of the curving staircase.

His voice echoed around the empty atrium and made him seem way more intimidating. The almost set sun reflected in the long windows and sent long stripes of shadows and orange light over the man on the balcony. Phil shifted closer to Dan and the two were practically shaking in their shoes as Ket started gliding down the stairs.

"How are you doing this evening?" he held out his hand to the couple and they just stared at it. "Come on, we can be adults about this, can't we?"

Phil swallowed his pride and shook the man's hand.

"We're fine thanks." he said with a straight face.