Chapter 4

"Hey mom! We're here!" I walked towards my mother who is currently setting the table for lunch and gave a light kiss on her cheeks.

"Take a bath Kaye, you stink." My mom teased and I rolled my eyes. "Is that your other way of saying, 'Your uncle and I wants some privacy?' Ow, y'all are so cute and mushy." I teased back and blew a kiss on them.

"Ow shut up before I'll turn you into a cockroach" Tsss fairies and their petty threats.

"Love you too Mom!" I waved and went to the restroom.

I spent 25 minutes in the shower, scrubbing dirt from all the possible areas of my skin. When I'm already assured that there are no more dirt in me and that I now smell like soap and vanilla, (Thanks to my mother's wand for creating such wonderful soap) I went to my room to change. I settled with my pink tinker bell pajama pants and shirt and went to examine my reflection in the mirror. First impressions will often tell that I'm just an innocent and vulnerable teenage girl. Bright wide blue eyes, plump lips, pale skin added with these girly pajamas. Who would've thought that I'm an executioner?

My thoughts are interrupted with a knock on my bedroom door. "Honey, you in there?" Asked my mom.

I opened the door and wonder why might she bother knocking my door when oftentimes, she will just yell "lunch time!" to inform me that it's time to eat. "What's wrong mom?"

"Oh nothing. It's just that Lieutenant Cual is downstairs waiting for you. Said he wanted to tell you something and I thought he might think that it's rude to you know, just yell at you to go downstairs so I went here and knocked."

"Yah, fairy reputation, I get it." I rolled my eyes. Fairies have a good reputation and they are known for being hospitable, caring, well-mannered, silent, shy, gentle, and all those other complimentary traits. If they only knew how crazy my mom is. Silent and gentle my ass. I laughed.

I walked my way downstairs, with my mom trailing behind my back. Lieutenant Cual is sitting on one of my mother's sofa, with a cup of coffee on his hands. When he heard me walking, he glanced up and stood. "Kayna, I have something to tell you." He went outside and I followed him. Once outside, far enough where no one can hear us, I asked him. "What is it Lieutenant?"

"I'm not going to beat around the bush here Kayna. You already know that there are rebels existing and that we, the peace officers, have been tracking them for years. Yesterday, we had an information about who might their leader be. Are you listening?"

I wasn't really listening to him because some crazyhead bug keeps flying around me. Irritated, I stared at the bug and contemplated whether to fry it or  just give the stubborn bug mercy. I settled for the latter and said "Vanish" instead.

"Sorry for that but I was really listening. You can go on."

Lieutenant Cual shook his head and cleared his throat. "Uh-As what I'm saying, we had an information about who might the leader of the rebels be." I nod. "And you, being the most loyal and let us say, one of the most fatal executioner, I want you to be the one assigned of hunting this rebels." He continued.

"But they've been silent for years  now."

"Yes that's true. But I'm guessing that they are just plotting on how to take down the government. The rebels hated the former king more than you think possible." King Antonio is a ghoul who ruled Majesta for centuries. He is a merciless man who eats some of his servants and pays the poor victim's family afterwards. His laws are obdurate and stupid. I couldn't blame the rebels for wanting to take him down. In fact, I want to turn him down myself. I wouldn't speak that out loud though.

"But King Antonio's not the king anymore."

"Yes and that's why we need to be more vigilant. Without his crown, the former king don't have as much authority and power. The rebels might grab the chance."

As if I care. I wanted to spat.

"If you will take my offer, I promise protection for your family, especially your mother. And if you'll succeed, you will no longer be an executioner, but you will be a Lieutenant, just like me."

The "protection for my mother" part is what really caught my attention. Honestly, I've always been afraid that one day, my father might go back and steal my mother from me, which will only be some kind of a cruel joke for him. That's also another reason why I trained everyday and why I joined as one of the "peace officers".

Despite all our bickering and altercation, I love my mother so much. And I guess if you love someone, nothing will be more important for you than their safety. Even if it means deprivation of your own.

"I accept your offer Lieutenant." I  said, hoping to God I will not regret this decision.

****

Chapter 4 done and more chapters to go! Expect more adventure and more characters along the way. ;)

- Angel xx