Chapter 13

I woke up with the sound of my mother's jabbering in the hallway outside my room. I glanced at the clock. 6:30 am. What would have been the possible reason why my mother is babbling this early?!

With a grunt, I hopped off my bed and went outside to check her.

"He is such a prick, Richard! Unbelievable! I always knew! He's a manipulative gold digger, power hungry maniac who should shove his ass-"

"What's wrong, uncle? What's she talking about and why is she so loud?" I interrupted my mother's profanity and asked uncle Richard who is leaning on the doorframe.

"She's-"

"Your crazy ass biological father! That beast! That freaking beast announced this morning that all and I mean ALL Magestics, 16 years old and above who does not have a job and whose income hasn't reached the average will be freaking recruited as their soldiers! Soldiers! S.O.L.D.I.E.R.S. You've heard the rumors when you were still a kid. The former King Antonio wanted to dominate Lucian. (Another world dominated by people who were said to have other powers) And those gossips of soldiers and servants who were eaten by the king? No they're not. They are sent to Lucian to fight. And no one, no one Kaye, got back alive!" My mother shouted, her face red with anger.

"That's-"

"You are nineteen Kaye! And your income combined with mine doesn't reach the average!" My mom said while grabbing handful of her hair.

My eyes widen with the realization. Yes, it is terrifying to fight other species. Only God knows what they can do. But what really made my stomache twist is the idea of working for my freaking father. Never have I ever wished and dreamed to be one of his soldiers. I can't believe that he is forcing people to work for him just so they can dominate another world. He is an evil!

"I told you, Mil, I can help." Uncle Richard, who was suddenly on my mother's side, said.

"But how, Richard?! Yes, you have large income but no matter how close we are, we are not your family." My mom answered him as she sank on her knees, probably losing hope and my heart breaks.

Uncle Richard knelt beside her and grabbed her chin. They look like a couple on a movie scene and if I wasn't aggitated right now with my father's announcement, I would've teased them.

"Mil, look at me. I will help you. You and Kayna. I would never let that monster go near the two of you. I promise you that." Uncle Richard said and tears began falling from my mother's eyes. Uncle Richard wiped my mother's tears with his thumb and grabbed something on his pocket. My mother is still busy sobbing on his arms that she hadn't notice Uncle Richard opening the box he had gotten from his pocket.

Uncle Richard knelt on his knees and grab my mother's chin.

"Mildrayna, I know that you've always thought of me as your dearest friend and you are my dearest friend too. However, you've always known that deep down, I felt something more. And maybe this is not the perfect time and maybe you'll think I am taking advantage of the situation. But I've been dying to ask you this for 20 years. I love you Mildrayna. I love you, please marry me."

My mother's tearstained face glanced up and her expression shows an expression of disbelief and shock. Seconds ticked but my mother still hasn't said any word or even made a single movement. I'm afaid she's also holding her breath.

Uncle Richard stood up. "Look, Mil, I am not forcing you but if you really don't feel the same way." Uncle Richard scratched his hair ang laughed an unhappy laugh. "But we will only be married in papers. Look, just think of Kayna. We don't have to you know, live under the same roof or share the same bed. I can sleep on the couch-"

Uncle Richard was blabbing but he was cut off when my mother ran into him and hugged him tight.

"You're an idiot. How could you think that I don't have the same feelings? After all those years. The only thing that prevented me from asking you personally to marry me is because I'm so ashamed. I'm ashamed of my self. I'm ashamed of rejecting you long ago when you were always the best choice. I'm ashamed because I don't deserve you but you are still here with me, with us. I love you too, Richard."

Uncle Richard was taken aback and was frozen in shock for a minute. But when he recovered on his shock, he grabbed my mother's face and kissed her torridly. Yikes!

"Gosh, get a room." I said while rolling my eyes. I ran to my room and locked my door, not wanting to hear if they did get a room.

****

Hi guys!!! Thank you so much for adding this book in your library. If you enjoyed, please do recommend this to your friends. :)

Lovelots,
Angel ❤