Chapter 20

3 days later

Laura's POV

9:50 am

RING! RING!!!! Everyone starts to look alarmed, so are the teachers. Everyone's trying not to panic. Everyone starts to stand up. I look over to Ross and he looked alarmed as well. He looks back at me. "What's going on?!" I say frightened by the alarming sound. "I don't know,"

"Ok everyone, get into 2 straight lines and follow me and move fast." Ms. Martinez says in a shaky voice. I know she was trying not to panic.

Everyone lines up rapidly. So fast that Ross and I ended up in the back of the line. We all start to walk super fast to the exit, to fast for my liking. It looks more like running. I don't run very fast.

I start to slow down. I cant keep it up anymore. I start seeing the change in light. The lights start to turn off  making easier to see the fire far ahead. The fire keeps getting bigger and bigger. I start to run to catch up but I end up falling onto my knees not being able to go as fast.

Nobody notices. I'm gonna die here. I look around me. The fire is getting closer.

I hear somebody calling my name from far ahead, "Laura! Laura!!! Are you here?!! Please answer!!! Please!!! Laura!!!!"  I can't speak, it's like there was a tape in my mouth preventing me from answering. My eyes starts to water. Tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Laura!" The voice was now closer and the person was running towards me. I heard the footsteps. I already knew who it was.

I Stand up and turn to where Ross is, and he hugs me while I hugs back, putting my head on his shoulder. He rubs my back. "You came back for me?" I ask. "Yeah, I don't wanna loose you" he said as I tighten my arms. We then pull out.

"How are we gonna escape from here? I don't know where the others went," he says. I grab his hand and run towards the exit signs looking for the real exit.

"Umm Laura," he stops us and points to the flames that are dangerously near us. He had his arm in front of as to protect me and I was holding his shoulders moving us backwards to not burn ourselves.

We keep walking backwards, now holding hands until....

"Ow!" Ross and I yelp as the fire slightly burned both of our arms, quickly taking our arms without letting go of our hands.

"Come on!" I squeeze our hands running to where there isn't fire. As we kept running, the fire was disappearing and there was no fire to be seen.

"There's an exit!" I point out as we ran outside. We were both sweaty and were panting when we finally got out, also were covered I ashes a little bit. I look over to Ross.

I see his eyes covered in tears. I stare at him with a saddened look, as tears fall down his cheeks. "Oh Ross," I whispered giving him a tight hug while tears ran down my cheeks as well.

He cries on my shoulder, slightly quietly sobbing while I rested my head on shoulder. I rub his back. We stay in that position until he seems calm. We both pull out. Tears were still rolling down is cheeks.

I hold his head gently and wipe his tears with my thumbs. "We're in this together." I say. "You're not alone." I kiss his cheek. He slightly smiles.

We've Never been in this part of the school. There was a field with fake grass and benches. He grabs my hand again and we run to the other all the way to the exit. I guess this is the other side of the school. Where the older kids go. We reach to the fences.

"How are we gonna get out?" I ask. "By climbing, you go first. If you fall, I'll catch you." He says. I just nod and start climbing. Once I reach the top, Ross starts to climb and climbs to the other side. I just stay there. As he reaches the other side I start climbing down carefully and when I'm almost there Ross picks me up and places me gently on the ground. Safe landing.