14. Pink Panties

Chance's hand was heavy on her thigh, and hot, too. It was almost overbearing.

Almost.

Carmen didn't push it away. Instead, she rested her hand on top of his, and let her gaze wander towards the window. His touch was soothing, and she needed that a lot, now. Carmen was tired of fighting what she wanted.

They were passing an old superstore that had been around since before Carmen was born, but that wasn't what caught her attention.

There was a tall mahogany skinned man standing by a black car that was only a few years old. Carmen recognized her plates.

"Chance, pull into this store right here," Carmen murmured, squeezing his hand as she spoke calmly, being sure to give nothing away.

He glanced over at me with a slight frown, "You need to grab somethin'?"

"No," Carmen didn't bother elaborating, unbuckling her seat belt as they approached Ira, "Park right here."

Chance did as he was told, and Carmen slid out of the car, feeling a wave of anger slide over her that left her strangely calm.

Ira didn't notice her until he looked over, his phone to his ear as his dark eyes met hers, and then they turned into saucers.

"Give me the keys, Ira." Carmen spoke quietly, with her hand outstretched.

He didn't hand them over immediately.

Like he had a claim over those God damned keys. Like he had asked her if she could use his car.

Carmen pulled her phone from her pocket, and pulled up the police department's number. Chance appeared next to her. She only looked over at him for a second and then Carmen's eyes were on her brother once more.

He had lost weight.

A lot of it.

His eyes were sunken in, and his skin wasn't as clear as it used to be- it wasn't anywhere near as clear as it had been. His hair had grown out from the tapered fade he usually kept, and looked to have been growing out for months.

"Carmen, I didn't know-"

"Ira, I really and truly don't care about what you did or did not know. I want my keys right now."

Two pairs of matching chocolate eyes stared into each other defiantly, and Ira made no move to hand over the keys.

"Ira, just give her the keys," Chance sighed, shifting from his left foot to his right, "If you don't she's going to call the police-"

Carmen scoffed.

Chance said that as if Ira handing over her keys meant that she would decide not to call the police.

As if giving her those God damned keys would make the fact that he stole from her alright.

Chance looked down at Carmen when she made that noise, and frowned at her before starting again, "Give the keys. If you try to run, then I'm going to have to catch you and I have no respect for you-"

"Who the fuck are you?" Ira spit, glaring at Chance.

"I'm someone you really don't want to fuck with. You hurt someone that matters more to me than my own life at this point, and I'm going to get my hands on you at least once, but you can decide if you want that time to be now. Give her the keys. Now."

Now, Ira was starting to look a little unsure. Like Carmen, he wasn't used to people standing up, and speaking out against him. She watched the uncertainty in his eyes grow.