16. Medicine

It took her a week to complete that damned spoon, and that was thanks to about five how-to videos and one Friday night spent with Dean. Carmen finished the spoon, sitting cross-legged on her bed with a trash bag under her to catch the stray wood, and put the knife aside to grab the sandpaper sitting by her right thigh. She sanded and sanded and sanded until it was completely smooth, and then Carmen stood up, slid her feet into her slippers, and went out to the backyard to wipe it down in the mineral oil that would worked as a finish.

Carmen let the oil sit and dry for almost the full day that Saturday, and then around eight thirty, she took it, and placed it on his dresser.

He barely spoke to her. Refused to look at her.

Hell, he wouldn't even be in the same room with her most of the time, and Carmen acted like it didn't bother her, but every day the two of them didn't speak, it made her heart ache.

She made breakfast and dinner every day, and every day, he went out for breakfast, and came home with his own dinner.

All he did was glare and scowl at her.

So Carmen decided to keep going on dates with Weebie.

They'd been on one yesterday, but it wasn't actually a date, they'd just went to his house and watched a movie, then Carmen went home. But she was dressed like they had done something so much better than that, like they'd been on a real date.

The front door opened and closed, and Carmen looked up from the meal she was eating by herself, which was spaghetti with greens and garlic bread. Chancellor made it a point to keep his eyes on the ground as he made a beeline for his bedroom. She watched as she took a bite into her bread and chewed slowly.

He hadn't brought food that night.

Chancellor was a stubborn ass, that's what he was.

An hour later, he'd still yet to emerge from his room, and it was then that Carmen realized that he just wasn't going to eat.

That was stupid.

With a groan, Carmen heaved her full body off the couch, and made her way to the kitchen, where she piled some spaghetti and bread on one plate, and gathered a bowl for his greens. Then, she grabbed a fork, stabbed that into the pasta, and made her way to his door. When Carmen tried the knob, she learned it was locked, and rolled her eyes before putting his food down, and going to her closet, and pulling out a wire hanger which she manipulated until the hook part was straight.

Then, Carmen took the food again in her free hand, which was a balancing act in itself, and pushed the straight end of the hanger into the hole in the door. It clicked unlocked a second later, and she walked into the room like it was her own.

He was lying on his stomach, head buried in his arm. A sigh left Carmen's body as she placed the plates on his night stand, then sat on the edge.

"Chancellor," She murmured, pressing her hand into his muscular arm.

He didn't move.

"Chance, babe, get up," Carmen shook his shoulder now, and continued to do so, calling his name until his bloodshot eyes opened, and landed on her, "What?"

"You didn't eat," She responded with a frown, "You forgot to stop and get food."

He sat up, now, and frowned at her for a moment before letting out a massive yawn, "I'm not-"

"No, don't lie. I know you're hungry. You've been working over for the past week, you need to eat. Here," She reached over and handed him the plate of spaghetti, "I know you don't like me right now, but please eat."