20. A Case of Boredom

"I'm a slave to your flesh"

Malia had blonde hair with chestnut weaved into it that was tucked into a braid that ran down the length of her back. She was sitting down at the table, so she hadn't seen Carmen, who was taking in the woman before she formally met her. A white pastel pink shirt was tucked into mocha pants, and her hands were resting in her lap. Carmen was willing to be that she had a French manicure that matched her toes, which were tucked into a pair of brown stilettos with pink flowers at the toes.

"Lia, up dear," Mayra flitted into the room, taking the free hand that wasn't wrapped around Chance's waist, "Meet Birdie."

Malia stood up with grace, and turned around, walking to the three standing in the entrance to the dining room. There was a small smile on her lips, and her eyes were a light green color that wasn't vibrant, but more of a faded color, like celadon foliage.

"Lia, this is my... Carmen," Chance trailed off, ending the introduction in the form of a question.

Entertained by his confusion on what they are, Carmen smirked up at him. Chance looked over at her, his grey orb visible from the corner of his eye before recovering as rose traveled up his neck before spreading to his cheeks, "Carmen, this is Malia Parker, my cousin."

"Are you sure?"

The look he shot her was one that clearly stated shut up. Carmen giggled, and turned to Malia with a grin, "It's nice to meet you, Malia."

"Likewise," She responded, glancing down as Carmen offered her hand, which she took gingerly.

Carmen's smile tightened along with her grip, and she watched Malia's eyes widen as they shook twice, then she let Carmen's hand go gingerly. Chance chuckled and buried his face in the side of her head, and murmured, "Stop it," Just low enough for her to hear.

"Yes sir," Carmen whispered with a chuckle as she took in the woman who was maybe an inch or two taller than her, "You're really pretty, Malia."

Carmen didn't expect heat to rush to the woman's pale skin when she complimented her, but it did, and she stuttered out a thanks that didn't match the frosty greeting Carmen had received. Mayra brought in two casserole dishes filled with lasagna, "Carmen, Lia sit down. Boys, come help me get the rest of the food."

Carmen took Claire from Morgan, and sat down at the table, watching as Malia frowned, "Auntie, I can help-"

"Sit.Down." Mayra commanded with a frown, "You know the men get the food."

Carmen sat quietly, having fought that battle with the older woman before. She'd made Chance a plate, and was heading out the kitchen. Mayra had grabbed her arm, and gently tugged her back to the kitchen, where she spoke as she took Chance's plate, "The men make their own plates around here, Birdie." She'd murmured as she dumped the different foods back into their respective pots,"And they do clean up as well. I didn't marry a lazy man, and I didn't raise any, either."

"But at home-"

"You're not home. My house, my rules, sweetheart."

Carmen and Mayra had argued back and forth for ten minutes straight before Chance and Dean ran in and settled the dispute.

Claire cooed from her spot in Carmen's arms, and she grinned down at the infant, her heart swelling, "Are you talking to Auntie?" She cooed, laughing with she received a gummy smile in response as those slate eyes danced.