Chapter 9

MANIK

There was a constant buzzing in my jeans pocket. I was in middle of my beauty sleep and the buzzing woke me up.

Why on earth everyone has a problem with my sleeping.

I shoved my hands to bring that thing out. It was my cell.

I held it near my ears with my eyes closed and the cheerful voice of my mom greeted me....

"Hey"

"Mom", I replied groggily. I want to sleep.

She as always overlooked my tone and continued with her talking.

Moms can never change.

"So how was your morning classes? Did you enjoy your time with the professors? Was the classes interesting?", she showered me with questions.

Morning classes.........

Shit..

I quickly looked around the room, half unpacked bags, soiled pair of clothes here and there bedsheets lying everywhere except on the bed......... But I couldn't spot a single watch clock to check the time.

I then saw my cell and at the upper right corner of the screen flashed 12:45.

I have completely missed my morning classes on the first day of college.

"Mom I gotta go.... Will talk to you after my classes. Bye love ya", I hastily hung up without even giving mom a chance to speak.

I dashed into the bathroom and brushed my teeth and washed my face.

If it would have been in high school then by now I would be standing in front of the Principal's office waiting for a detention.

Not that I have much experience in that because I have been an amazingly good boy. But ever since I set my foot in Georgetown College the good me had gone for a vacation.

I changed into a fresh pair of clothes and dumped the old ones with the rest. I picked up a few books as I was completely unaware of the class schedules. I was about to get out but my gaze fell on my roommate.

Dhruv

He was still sleeping peacefully on his bed. I checked my watch and I still had 10 minutes before classes.

I went up to him and shook his shoulders.

"Dhruv!! Buddy wake up", I shouted and all Dhruv did was turn to the other side and continue with his sleep.

I didn't have much time to wake him up lovingly, so I decided to fasten things up.

I held his mattress in my hand and with a strong tug pulled it out.

According to Newton's first law he should have stayed in the bed in the state of rest but amazingly he too shifted with the bedding and landed on the bed.

And mission accomplished.

Dhruv was awake.

"Meet you after classes....", I said and ran out of the room not letting him react to my action as I am sure enough that would make us miss our remaining classes.

I sprinted up to the classes. With the help of a few others I finally reached my class.

Most of the front seats were taken so I had no choice but to move towards the back. I settled somewhere in the middle and soon the Prof. came in.

It was a pretty interesting one. The professor was enthusiastic and held an interactive class which made it more fun.

In one of those sessions Prof picked up a girl from the front rows. She was wearing skinny blue jeans and white top having
                      "I Rule"
Printed on the back in pink.

"Your name miss?"

"Nandini.....Nandini Murthy"

And poof

I was gone again. The moments from last day surfaced back in my brain clouding my attention from the class.

Some part of me told that she was nothing but trouble but the other part didn't want to believe it.

She is a good girl. She is full of innocence. She trusted me as her friend and shared her feelings with me.

That's what feared me. She is too good for the world and she is going to get hurt.

Then protect her..... A tiny part of me responded.

She had long back taken her seat but my eyes were stuck on her.

I tore apart my gaze and shifted it back to the white board. Let's start with being friends.

And see where fate takes us.

Though am not a believer of fate and luck but this is one of the rare occasions where I want to hope.

Hope that something good happens to us.