Chapter 26

MANIK

"Buddy you okay", I heard Dhruv murmur as I stormed into the room. I didn't spare a look at him, knowing I wouldn't do so without breaking down.

Ignoring him, I force myself into the washroom. I closed the door shutting the whole shitty world out. I need to escape, I need to.

I prop in front of the shower and without even discarding my clothes, I turned the showed on. The cold water trickled down my body, drenching me.

Why the fuck is this happening to me? Why me? What the hell did I do to deserve such a nasty thing?

I stared into the mirror in front looking at my soaked body. I was leaner than before and I appeared skinny. My well toned muscles a little faltering, but I don't look sick.

I look like a perfectly normal college going kid. Nothing other than that. No sign of illness. Who could have know this body had given shelter to the unwelcoming cancer cells, that has by now rotten it to the core, leaving little time before it engulfs me completely.

As I turned off the shower a knock resounded on the door.

Who is it?

"Nandini! Hey" Dhruv's voiced echoed.

"Hi, is Manik here?" Her angel like soft honey voice asked.

"Yeah he is.... But he rushed into the washroom, why don't you come in till then."

"Okay"

Shit!

I had completely forgotten about the morning incident. I was so wrapped up with this cancer stuff, that she momentarily escaped my mind. What am I going to do now.

For once I now regretted sharing my feelings with her. My fists balled and I realised what the mess I had landed upon. I was completely and utterly fucked up. And before I would worsen things up, I should mend them.

I stripped off my clothes and wrapped the white towel on my waist. I was about to head out, but I stopped in my tracks as Dhruv established a conversation that won't occur in my presence.

"Did something happen between you guys?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Manik wasn't in his bestest mood when he entered. He kind of broke into and then took his shelter in his hiding area, the washroom. And now you're here asking about him...... So I thought"

There was no talking for a long time. I though Nandini was never going to say anything. But she carried on with the speaking.

"He confessed his love for me.", in a mere whisper.

I had to strain my ears to catch her words.

"Woooohhhh, he did. Like finally that jackass could use his sound box. God! I thought he would never say that to you." Dhruv chuckled. He was probably the only one happy about this.

"So what did you say?" His excitement clear in his tone.

Again we were greeted by Nandini's deep silence.

"Don't say you turned him down...did you"

"Yes. I did"

"Why? I mean why would do such a thing? Its clear that you have feeling for him, you trust him with everything, you care for him... And you clearly enjoy him having around. So why are you pushing him away?"

"I can't bear to get hurt again, Dhruv. I do have feelings for Manik, but I am yet not ready to endanger my heart again. What if I get hurt again, what if I break again. The last time I trusted my heart with someone, it got shattered into pieces. I don't want to go through every thing all over again.", her soundless sobs made me crunch inwardly.

"Manik would never hurt you. Never", Dhruv's words fill the room.

I wanted to hear those very words but I wasn't sure anymore whether I would be able to keep my word or not. I am bound to hurt each and everyone around me.

Anyone attached to me will go through the pain, the suffering the loss the hurt, that the disease is going to cause. And I can't let Nandini to be a part of it. I can't.

Taking a deep breathe I got out of the washroom. They immediately stopped talking. I knew they would.

"See who is here for you, man", Dhruv chuckled giving me a naughty grin.

I focused my gaze upon the girl I love.

"What do you want Nandini?", my voice dead cold.

"Uhh I wanted to talk.", she glanced nervously at Dhruv.

"Okay I will catch up with you at the backyard." Clearly asking her to leave.

Nandini silently got up and left, leaving a scowling Dhruv behind

"What was that? This girl is here to sort things out with you, and you're welcoming her with your attitude."he roared.

"Just leave me alone. Nothing in my life can be sorted now.", I grumbled banging the door on his face as I left for doing something that I never ever thought I would do.

I found Nandini standing facing her back to me. I took a deep breathe, you have to do it. You cannot drag her into this. She deserves better.

Sensing my presence she turned to look at me and smiled.

"Hey"

"Hi", I mumbled.

"About the morning....", she stammered as I saw a shy smile play at the corner of her lips.

"What about it?"

"Umm... I think"

"Just say it, Nandini"

"I think I have fallen for you too, Manik", she admitted in a low voice.
I swear I waited to hear these words from her, but this time, it didn't make me happy, it just hurt. I felt someone had just stabbed me as the words fell from her mouth.

"Well I am sorry to say, but I it was all a mistake.", her features changed as she gasped.

"I don't love you, it was all a lie. I just got flowed in the moment. I didn't mean those words.", my emotionless voice shook her.

Not giving her any time to recover I turned away.

She forcibly turned me back towards her.

"Manik look at me please....", she pleaded.

"I don't want to see your face. Just go away.", I retorted in a stiff voice.

"I know you are joking..... I know you love me," her tears streamed down. I so wanted to drop down this facade but I can't. I have to be strong for her.

"No.", I replied curtly.

"Manik why are you being so stubborn. Why are you doing this to me", she helplessly added.

"I don't love you. Just put this in your stupid head"

I kept a straight face and said,
"Ms Nandini Moorthy, I don't love you and I don't want to see your face ever in my life."

Making sure I had done what I never intended to do, I freed myself from her clutch.

I turned away and sprinted down the grassy ground so that I can escape before I completely break down.

We were never meant to be together. We weren't.

And its time for me to accept it.

So here goes the most awaited part. All things revealed now. Any idea what's going to happen next??

Remember to vote and comment.

Till then happy reading.