Chapter 16

Manik

The whole range of events had taken a toll on my strength and I was in need of my beauty sleep. I closed my eyes relaxing my muscles and stretched. Dhruv was yet to come and it had been almost 2 hours since Nandini left to sort things out with her guy.

Though I had sent her away giving the excuse that I needed rest, but I couldn't even settle for a simple nap rest alone having a long deep sleep. I have been prep talking myself regarding my equation with Nandini. We had several awkward and lovely moments in the past two days and each of then are imprinted on my memory, but the friendly bond that we shared was nothing like the one that she shares with Rahul. They had their own universe. It was painful to admit but I could easily see the love and care that Rahul had for her girl. His anger and possessiveness all came from a strong feeling that he had for Nandini.

Love.

He was not fooling around with her and neither was she. Among the crazy love story between the tornado and the volcano I don't want to be the additional hurricane.

I wanted to step away. It will break my heart into pieces but that would save another two from the same casualties.

The knock on the door broke the chain of thoughts. I got up from my bed and opened the door.

"Nandini? What are you doing here?"

"Had your rest?", she asked back skipping my query smoothly.

"I was.... Until you disturbed.", I lied. Need to stay away. My mind chanted.

She seemed to ignore my grumpy voice and continued," Now that you're awake will you accompany me for a walk.", she asked cheerfully.

"At this hour?", though I was unaware of what hour it was.

"Pleaseeee", she dragged on the eee and purposefully batted her eyelashes at me. This girl will make me crazy. Wait she had already done that.

I rolled my eyes at her but ended up putting on my jacket. I closed the door and joined her. She gave me one of her flashing smiles as she placed her hand on my right arm. I looked at her palms on my arms and my heart did a few somersaults.

We walked silently and it kind of felt stupid to walk around at the middle of the night and the silence wasn't helping. I checked her from the corner and saw she was staring ahead engrossed in some thoughts, maybe about Rahul.

And I was back in my defensive mode. I stopped suddenly and so did she.

"What?", she asked.

"Why are we here, Nandini?", my tone came out way bolder than I wanted to it and I caught her discomfort. I quickly gave her a small smile and went back to my ever happy way of approaching.

"Are we going to keep walking around like ghosts? Don't you think its boring", I huffed a little to state my boredom.

"Yes.... I wanted to talk, but you kept in walking like an idiot.", she looked at me accusingly.

"What!! You are the one who pulled me out..... Its your job to start the conversation.", I threw the ball into her court.

"It was your duty to understand that I was waiting for you to start...."

"And why should I do that?", I questioned back.

"Because you're my friend.", she replied instantly dabbing her finger on my chest to point that I was the Friend.

I guess I don't like the word Friend now.

My moment of silence was giving her the sly smile of victory but no way am I losing it.

"So it was my responsibility"

"Yes", she was winning.

"I should have asked first....", I sounded dejected and that made her smile reach her ears and she bobbed her head in approval.

"You are insane", and even without gauging my speech she said," Yup " eagerly.

I stared at her as slowly it dawned on her. I watched her so minutely that I could almost read her. She was replaying my words and the point was hitting her. Her victorious look vanishing followed by confusion and embarrassment and finally the cute angry pout.

I cracked up and couldn't help laughing. She was trying her best to keep her anger but it was slipping fast.

"You're insane too.

"I know", I spoke between my laughs.

"Really?", she was amused. She never expected me to admit so easily.

"Or else why do you think I am quarrelling without regarding who should have started the conversation. Seriously is this a topic to argue about....."

She smiled her shy mischievous smile but I didn't had the pleasure of enjoying my sight.

I felt a hard blow to the back of my head as I crumbled on the floor. Through my blurry senses I heard Nandini scream and she too thumped down on the ground.

I tried to register the situation but I lost myself in the dark.