Chapter 25

MANIK

I felt weak and defeated. Standing under the sun alone, all I wanted was the earth to swallow me up. Why couldn't she trust me?

I wouldn't ever dare to break her, I would never. Hasn't she yet understood what I felt for was true. Her words rang in my ears

Everyone says that.

Well I am not like everyone. Only because Rahul broke her trust, doesn't mean I would do the same.

Was it jealousy or the feeling of being turned down, I don't know, I felt angry. Towards myself, towards him, towards her and every freaking things in my life.

Why can't she just move on. Why does she need to be attached to that stupid fucking guy.
I thrashed my bag onto the ground, the paper pieces and books scattered all over.

The phone buzzed in my back pocket. I took it out and flipped open the screen. An unknown number flashed across.

I debated on whether taking up the cal or not. I pressed the green button and held it to my ears.

"Hello?"

"Is this Manik Malhotra?"

"Yes it it."

"I am calling from the City Hospital. You had been through the normal checkup last week, I suppose.", the woman on the other line asked.

"Yes, I had. Is there a problem?"

"Well,the test results have been out and Dr. Mathew wants to meet with you right away. Will you be able to have an appointment with him within the next half an hour."

I couldn't understand what the matter was. What was so urgent that he needed to meet now.

I sighed, probably it was nothing.

"Okay, am coming."

Shoving the cell inside the pocket, I picked up my strewn books. After getting everything inside I dragged my self towards the campus.

Sitting at the back seat of the cab, the only thing I wished was the day to end soon. But little did I know a lot was yet to come.

"I have an appointment with Dr. Mathew"

"Your name sir?"

"Uh Manik Malhotra."

I peeked over the reception desk, as the blonde took her time to go through the list.

"Um there is no such thing mentioned here. Are you sure it was today?", she raised her head to look at me.

"I am sure.", I stated. I cannot possibly dream the whole calling incident.

"Okay let me check.", she picked up the telephone and dialled a number.

I waited by the table as she conversed with the other person.

"You need to take the elevator up to the 26 and Dr. Mathew would greet you there."

"Thank you", she smiled as I approached the lifts.

"Can I come in?"

The man in his fifties raised his head from the stack of papers. His rimmed glasses stuck at his nose and the dark bags under his eyes suggested he was having a rough a week.

"Yeah come in"

Dr. Mathew had been kind of our family doctor. Having been on the same class as dad, he was always there in case we were in need of medical help.

When I had been hospitalised he was the one who had done the surgery and all.

I took the seat in front of him. He removed his glasses and stared at me.

"How are you doing?"

"Alright I guess."

"Having any problems or so? Any unusual things or pains that you have noticed."

I thought for a while. If you're overlooking the wrenching pain in my heart, then probably I am okay.

"Nothing like that.", I replied.

He sighed loudly. Lines on his forehead suggested something worse had happened.

"What is it uncle Mathew?", I asked unable to bear my curiosity.

"We should wait for your father to arrive.", he shifted uncomfortably in his office seat.

"Dad is coming too?"

Answering my question, the office door opened placing my dad in. He was in his suit and tie, clearly he was here straight from office.

I glanced at him and then back at uncle Mathew.
Things weren't looking nice.

After dad had settled down on the chair by me, we both looked up at Dr. Mathew.

"You were telling that there is something to discuss about the test results of Manik. Is there some problem", Dad asked.

The same pain flicked through his expression as he slowly spoke,

"Manik had been detected with Cancer, 3rd stage."

His words sank in the air. My breathe hitched inside my body, forcing me to choke.

No, I must have heard wrong.

"What did you say?", I weakly asked, a lump forming in my throat.

"I am sorry Manik. Its a type of lymphoma, not easily detected. If you wouldn't be in the accident, then probably we wouldn't even be able to trace it.", his voice was hollow.

I slumped back onto the chair as reality dawned upon me.

I am going to die.

I think most you guys are ready with tomatoes, potatoes and what not to throw at me. Things are going to mess up once again and we are near to the end. Only 4-5 chapters more.

Till then keep voting and commenting.
Happy reading.