Chapter 13

Manik

The burning sensation from the  back and cheek made me cringe in pain. My head was heavy from the blackout. I tried to open my eyes but the strong light blurred my vision as I closed my eyes and groaned.

Immediately a tiny hand wrapped her fingers around mine. I need no super sense to get that it was Nandini.

I strained my eyes and opened them and soon enough I registered I was in my room.

I moved my head to find two other figures standing behind Nandini.

"Hey buddy!", Dhruv patted my shoulder as I sat up on the bed. Nandini helped me sit adjusting the pillows at my back.

My gaze shifted to the unknown girl present in the room. Her stark green eyes were fixed on me.

"Hey....", her soft voice reached my ears and I knew who she was.

The girl who had stopped Rahul in the hallway. It was unmistakably that same voice and I thanked my stars for sending her at the right moment.

"Thank you.", I mumbled.

She gave me a small smile and replied," It's okay boy. I am Alya", she forwarded her hands and I held it for a short shake.

"I will check on later. Bye now", Alya said taking her leave as she passed a sisterly hug to Nandini who had silently sat by my side holding my left hand.

That left the three of us.

Dhruv shuffled uncomfortably at the awkward silence. Then unable to bear it any longer, he stood up from his bed.

"Am heading to the canteen, you guys need anything," Dhruv asked while putting on his jacket.

Both me and Nandini nodded a no.

"Okay. Will be back soon", and with that Dhruv left too leaving Nandini and me alone.

"I am sorry", was her small reply as she played with my fingers.

I studied her and I have been doing this a lot.

Her eyes never met mine and she remained silent after her silent apology.

"What are you sorry for?"

She let out a breath preparing herself for starting the long list.

"I am sorry for asking you to tag along even after I knew it was not a good idea, I am sorry for getting you hurt again and again, I am sorry I couldn't protect you there—" she inhaled a deep breath and continued," I am sorry for everything Manik".

She held herself responsible for each of the shit that happened and her inner turmoil was evident.

"You should be sorry you know", she bobbed her head and replied," I am"

"Not for the long list that you just gave but for handing me such an inefficient brach of security"

"What are you saying?", she looked quizzically at me.

"I asked you for freaking FBI and you gave me Nandini protection. Now see where it had landed me", I pointed to my swollen cheek.

Yaeeeeeee I could see the faint glint of smile tug at her lips.

"And you know am so hurt to know that you are sorry for sharing that amazing hot chocolate with me. But one thing for you...... I don't regret hanging out with you Nandini. But okay I will accept it will be better if you're boyfriend keeps his hand off me.", I admitted.

She chuckled at my silly talks and it was amazing to have her back to her normal self.

"Who was the superwoman?", I asked changing the topic.

"Alya?"

"Yup....", she playfully hit my hand as she laughed.

"She is the sister of Rahul and a great friend of mine", she answered.

"Woaaa a family full of heroes", I chuckled and Nandini rolled her eyes at me.

"She is not like her brother. She is nice."

"Of course she is better. She cancelled my meeting with Mr Death.", I said.

And again we were back to the silence that engulfed us.

"Can I ask you something?", I asked Nandini.

"Sure."

"What happened last night? You were pretty shaken up when I got you in the corridor.", I really wanted to know what had happened.

"I had a fight Rahul.", was her brief answer.

"About what?", I pushed.

"I had been calling him since the evening but he wasn't answering my calls. So I went to check on him. He wasn't in his room and I headed to the music room hoping to get him there. I opened the door without knocking and I saw him sitting with some of his friends. But as soon as he saw me he got all angry and hulky. He pulled me out from the room and asked me to leave not before he had thrown some of his ugly words. That's pretty much it.

And later he came to apologise, when you were there...", I nodded remembering the time when I was shoved into her washroom," but I threw him out like he had done to me."

She completed and the only thing that my brain shouted was 'why are you still with him', but that's what love is.

It makes people do crazy stuff.

I wrapped my arms around her as tiny tears brimmed in her eyes. She loved him too much and too deeply.

I rubbed her arms calming her and said," Why don't you go and sort things with him? He surely will have an explanation...."

She looked at me hopefully and it broke my heart. She wanted him to have an explanation. And that showed me again her love for him.

But for her, only for her happiness I ignored the deep pain in my heart and the lump in my throat.

"I think the lesser time you waste here the better are the chances to get him back. So why don't you go find your prince charming and let me rest", I spoke as lightly as I can and gave her a assuring smile.

"You sure?", she asked.

"Yeah.... I want a nap..am pretty tired.", I reasoned.

She hugged me quickly," Thanks".

I saw her close the door and the moment the door closed I knew I have fallen in love.

I am in love with her.

Double updates again.

See am giving so fast updates, please make me smile with your comments....pleasseeee.....

Till then happy reading