Chapter 27

MANIK

I ran hard. Really hard. I wasn't sure what I was running away from, was it Nandini or the reality or the fear of death, I don't know. I just kept on going. Pushing my already tired legs further. Tears adorned my face and my eyes stung.

I ached everywhere. My limbs, my body, my heart, my soul each and every bit hurt. I didn't know how to escape from it. I was lost and the darkness wrapped its cold sheets all around me, burying me inside it.

I lost the track of time and slowly as my strength diminished I found myself gradually fall into the clutches of uncertainty. I fell into the black.

I welcomed the cold wind which ushered me to my destination, and as the world slipped by, I knew what was about to happen.

My legs gave away, the pain gripping me and shredding me into pieces. My knees buckled, crashing on the hard ground. The soft touches of death stroke my weakened body trying to free the soul from it and I gave in willingly. Without a fight, because there was nothing left for me to fight for. Its better to let go, and I did.

As my head came in contact with mother earth, it happened.

I died.

*******

My eyes fluttered open to be greeted by the same white walls and sheets from last time. It had been just two months since I woke up here after the accident.

My eyes adjusted on the person sitting beside my bed.

The man in his late fifties looked exhausted and tired. His eyes were red and the large dark bags made him look twenty times older. He kept staring at me with love, pain, hurt, sorry, affection..... Several emotions clouded in those ocean blue eyes.

"Dad", I croaked.

My voice sounded hoarse, and rough.

He shifted more towards me placing his heavy hand on my arm.

"Hey, how are you doing", he asked chocking at every word. He was trying his best to keep the composure.

"Okay I think"
But I knew he didn't believe a word. He knew I was anything but okay.

The door opened presenting Dr Mathew. He entered and giving a small smile to dad turned his focus to me. After the normal check up procedures he concluded I was stable for now.

He took the seat beside dad and went through the files, scribbling on them.

"The case with Manik is pretty complicated and given the fact that it had been diagnosed in such last stages there are minimal chances of recovery. The Oncology team of our board went through the case thoroughly. And according to them, we may try out with the chemo therapies but there are hardly any chance that he can survive through them."
Dr Mathew poured out the news that I can't be saved.

I sighed. I had well accepted the fact. But it was hard for dad to agree with it.

"Why do you mean? You people can't just sit around and wait fie him to die right? It's your job to save the patients. You can't let him die like this.." He roared tears threatening to force out.

"I know, that's why I am here", Mathew retorted softly.

"I want to transfer Manik out of the states. To Australia specifically. There had been this organisation named CFW that has shown tremendous progress in dealing with cancer patients. Though they are yet to surface themselves officially, they have established some good records already. Since the staff here had given up on him, I think we should try out there."

"Can we do it?", dad asked holding the small ray of hope.

"Yes we can, if you give me the signal I will start the preparation right away."