Canada x Pianist!Reader

{Fluff & Angst}

*Highschool AU*

Source: Hetalia

Artist: Patynotchan on DeviantArt

~

Matthew loved to listen to (M/n) play the piano. It was usually after school, after everyone had left. (M/n) would sneak into the big, abandoned music room, making sure that no one with an actual presence was around before slipping through the wooden double doors. (M/n) would slip onto the bench in front of the beautiful, albeit a bit dusty, black grand piano, letting his bookbag slide off his shoulder and onto the floor next to the bench. Cracking his knuckles and stretching his arms, (M/n) would then hover his slim, (s/c) fingers over the ivory keys. No matter how many times Matthew saw (M/n) do this, every time (M/n) allowed his fingers to stay suspended over the keys, suspense would well up inside his chest. Maybe this time, (M/n) wouldn't play the piano. Maybe he would change his mind and leave. But the suspense would diminish as soon as the beautiful, elegant sound of the old piano echoed through the empty music room and out into the hallway, the doors slightly ajar and giving Mattie the perfect way to view the(h/c) pianist. Matthew would observe, awestruck, as (M/n)'s fingers gracefully flew across the keys, not missing a fraction of a note. The song (M/n) always played wasn't very long and was always over far too quickly, but Matthew wouldn't speak out lest he get caught. Instead, he would patiently wait until the next evening to listen to (M/n)'s beautiful music.

But one day, (M/n) didn't arrive at school. Matthew had no way of knowing if (M/n) had just arrived late, but (M/n)'s absence left a creeping dread sitting in the pit of Matthew's stomach the whole day. After school, Matthew hurried to the abandoned music room to listen to (M/n)'s music once again, but (M/n) wasn't there either. Matthew decided to wait a bit for the (h/c) haired male, but (M/n) never arrived.

(M/n) didn't come to school the whole week and the absolute worry and dread our dear blond Canadian felt was enough to crush him, had it been solid.

As it turns out, the school was informed of terrible news concerning (M/n) (L/n). (M/n) had been hit by a speeding driver and had received terrible injuries with no chance of survival. He had died on his way to the hospital, in the ambulance. Matthew couldn't believe it. He didn't want to believe it. Yet, here he sat, in the vacant piano bench where (M/n) once sat. The room was quiet, no music being played, no sound of bookbag sliding onto the floor nor the sound of popping joints. Matthew had found (M/n) and his music to be absolutely perfect, but now he was no longer here. (M/n) would never sit in this bench again, his fingers never grace the smooth piano keys with his touch, never charm Matthew with his music. (M/n) was gone and Matthew didn't want to accept that. These thoughts of (M/n) brought tears to Matthew's violet eyes, and, not wanting to hold them back, the salty droplets streamed down the blond's pale face. Wiping away the tears, Matthew took a deep breath and let his fingers hover over the smooth, ivory keys as he tried to remember the notes he had heard so many times. Inhaling and exhaling one last time, Matthew brought his slim digits upon the piano keys, a familiar tune breaking the deathly silence.

~

The end of an era lmao