dazzle || mad hatter

[angst]

alice's brother!mc

requested by my_br0_v1nny

source: alice in wonderland

~

Wonderland, although definitely dangerous and deadly, filled (Y/n) with a sense of awe and whimsy that made him feel warmly stupefied. He lived for Wonderland, he loved for Wonderland. He fought tooth and nail to save Wonderland and poured his blood into the very much alive - writhing and squirming - soil and land. He could live with this madness.

He loved this madness.

And yet the madness didn't love him. No, it wouldn't give him the time of day. It yearned for his sister - stubborn, mean, selfish sister. Why could she not share? He wanted a taste of that madness too. A madness with the sweetest things to say (never to him but in Wonderland, one could wish) and eyes that stared with such adoration and longing (never at him, but one could wish). Alice oh alice oh ALICE. She took his things always, always, always. He could never have one of his own - Alice had to have it too.

And there was only one Hatter.

(Y/n) didn't want to share. He wanted his own. He was tired of sharing. But Alice wasn't. Alice insisted, pushed and shoved and prattled, that she deserved Hatter more than he did. All because she had her head on the line and you didn't. What a liar. What a horrible, ugly, deplorable, detestable, liar. (Y/n) simply came to the conclusion that he'd have to interfere, to do something about this.

Because having to live one more day - one more minute - as less than Alice was going to be worse than torture. A kind of torture that (Y/n) wasn't going to put up with. He tried to find - oh how he SEARCHED - for someone to agree with him. Rolling bloodshot eyes of a bygone hare, the yellowed chattering incisors of a mouse, the clacking and clinking and clattering of china, ringing and ringing and embedding in his brain. He thought at least they would agree, would stand by his side. He had sat through endless unbirthdays, endless tea parties, and drank cups and liters and gallons of disgusting oversteeped, bitter lukewarm tea that made his stomach ache and his teeth feel weird. That had all been for nothing. 

He had asked. 

And the cacophony 

                                                      stopped. 

They stared. 

                                  He stared back, smile sheepish and vaguely hopeful. 

They looked to Alice. 

She frowned. 

They frowned. 

"No," they muttered, expressions disapproving. "Alice saved us. You're just ungrateful because Wonderland isn't your home." 

                                     His heart sank and his face burned. He couldn't take it.

Alice grinned at her brother, laying a hand on his clenching fist. 

"You are simply being rebellious. When you're older, you'll see how important I am to you. You need me." 

                                  He could have vomited. He would have if he had anything to expunge. 

That had been the last time he attended tea. Not that he'd been welcome back. The hare and the dormouse didn't want him back. Too ungrateful, they claimed. As if he was the ungrateful one. ALICE, yes, Alice was the ungrateful one. She had been wanted, fought over, with blood being spilled and courtly intrigue from insane royalty and guts of all kinds being used to paint the paradise of Wonderland. How could she say she was lucky to have survived that? To have survived being wanted? (Y/n) was trying to be wanted, and Alice just couldn't stand having what he had fought for since birth?