3 • Marinette

It was Thursday.
I sat on in the cafeteria, quietly eating my lunch. Alya had told me to go ahead since she had to stay behind and ask the teacher about something—probably for her ladyblog, I didn't know.
I sighed and picked at my carrots, not really having much of an appetite today. Yoghurt and two cookies sat on the corner of my lunch tray, untouched.
The ball was only a day away, and I still couldn't get my head over the fact that Alya had somehow convinced me to go, despite the fact that I was grounded. The guilt of what I was going to be doing was still stabbing at my like an annoying thorn that I couldn't get out. I was going to be going behind my parents' backs, sneaking off to the ball when it was forbidden. And worse, Alya bugged me that I 'definitely needed a date.'
Now I was torn between my complicated mess of decisions. I had thought about asking Nathaniel to go with me as friends, but I surprisingly saw Juleka asking him yesterday. Strange, as Juleka was quite introverted and didn't seem like the type to go to a ball.
Anyhow, they would make a cute couple. I silently thought, letting a small smile onto my face.
But then my thoughts flew back to the fact that I was still a loner with no date. I frown and sigh. There was always Adrien, but he would already be bagged by Chloe. The thought made my blood boil.
That spoilt brat.
I hardly noticed Alya strolling to my our table, lunch tray in hand.
"Girl! You look like you need to get a checkup at Alya's happy hospital!"
I turned my head to face her as she settled down into the seat next to me, managing a small, wobbly smile. Alya always manages to cheer me up, one way or the other.
"Marinette, what's up? You don't seem very happy. Tell me, after all, what are friends for?"
"Best friends you mean." I giggled.
"Well?"
"It's nothing really Alya, it's just...the fact that I still don't have a date."
"You could always ask Adrien." She teased, taking a sip from her glass of water.
I glared at her, but I wasn't really annoyed...at least, not at her anyway.
She laughs.
I groan. "Adrien?" I asked, doubling my glare, "ADRIEN?! Are you kidding me?!"
"Woah, woah, easy tiger, I was just kidding," a cheesy grin melts over her face, "or was I? Anyway, you have tell him someday!"
I exhale, trying to let out all my frustration with the breath. "But what if he rejects me?"
"He won't! At least, he can't refuse a sweet little girl asking him nicely." Smiled Alya.
"I'm not little!"
"You are. To me."
"But I'm older than you!"
"Only by half a month!" She shot back.
I opened my mouth, about to say that I was still older than her when my purse started to jitter.
"Mrph!" Tikki's muffled voice came out.
"Huh? What was that?" Alya asked, raising an eyebrow at me, completely forgetting about our conversation from earlier.
Tikki said something along the lines of my name. She probably wanted to talk to me.
"Alya, excuse me, I'll be back!"
Alya looked confused, then glanced at my lunch. "What about your food?!"
I didn't stop, only managing to tell her that she could have my cookies if she wanted.
I walk down the corridor, in the direction of the toilets.
Tikki pops out as I lock the cubicle's door.
"What is it Tikki?" I ask.
"Sorry Marinette, but since you have to ask a special him today, I wanted to help you!" Tikki smiles cutely.
I was surprised. Tikki would usually probably scold me for doing what I'm going to do this evening.
"So, my queen, what should I do? After all, you just had to interrupt me in the middle of lunch to tell me this, didn't you?" I joked, then grew serious. "Someone could've seen you Tikki."
She waved my words off. "Well," she started, "first of all, you should boost your confidence bar with a bright smile. Make sure you don't stutter to hard so that he can't make out your words, and keep yourself together-don't have a meltdown. Tell yourself that you can do this, and that I will keep on supporting you!"
A million possibilities ran through my mind at that single moment in my life, including the fact that Tikki was helping me currently.
"But.... What If he rejects me?
"Thenmydreamswon'tcometrueandIwon'teverhavethehappyendingIalwaysdreamedofbecauseAdrienwouldlatchontoChloebecauseshewouldaskhimoutandthenallmyhappyendingswillturnintonightmares!!" I groaned, then took a deep breath as I had ranted it all out in one go.
Tikki just face palms. Then she looks up at me and says, "Marinette! You have to be more serious!"
It was amazing she could just comprehend what I had said since I could barely process my own words.
I looked up helplessly at my little friend.
"Then what should I do?"
Tikki sighed. "Well, you could always practise your lines before you preform them. It would help. Think up of something to say to him. Like starting it off with a greeting, and then going straight to the point. Speak from your heart! It never fails!"
I looked at Tikki with a half smile.
"Okay, okay... I'll try." I took a deep breath, "Hi Adrien! So, about the ball tonight, will you be my partner? I would really, really appreciate it. Then I'll smile sweetly. If he says yes, then I'll thank him. If he says no, I'll just say that I understand. You think that I'll do fine Tikki?"
Tikki smiled, and that was a good enough of an answer for me.