5 • Marinette

"Here we go..." I murmur to myself, taking a big lungful of air.
I slowly walk up the stone steps that led up to the double doors. A faint glow was shining out.
I'm met with a burst of light and beautiful streamers and decorations. The gym had been totally transformed! Balloons, sparkles, banners, streamers and tables filled with food. The thing that caught my attention the most were two beautifully decorated thrones. One red with black dots, the other, fully black, with a green paw print in the centre. There was music in the air, and while some people were dancing to the joyful music, others, were just chatting.
But as I had entered, conversations stopped. I everyone's attention turned to me. I flinched on the inside at all the attention they were giving me, making colour flood to my cheeks and my legs wobbly. I felt a certain pair of eyes especially interested with me, as if it were burning a hole into my back. Ladybug instincts, I guess. My gaze flew around the crowd to find the stalker, my eyes landing on a particular blonde hair, green eyed boy. It was strange, something, something about him made my heart flutter with excitement. I didn't recognise him from anywhere, but that familiar mask reminded me all too much of Catnoir, especially the black ears. I hurriedly walked into the crowds, mingling within, trying to ease that desire by finding him, and completely forgetting about the earlier silence I caused. After a few seconds, I spot him at a drinks food table, still staring at the spot where I had been. I tap his shoulder, getting his attention as he spins around to meet me. As if on cue, a romantic waltz music came over the speakers.
"Y-you l-l-look amazing."he stutters.
I blush. "Thanks, you too."
He was dressed up handsomely, in a black tuxedo with a light green tie. His black mask and ears really gave him the "Chatnoir" look.
Then a voice came over the speakers. "Would all who would like to be in the running for being the King and queen of this honourable celebration please come up to the dance floor with a partner and arrange all of yourselves into a circle. Thank you for your attention. Goodnight."
"Would you umm.... Like to dance?" I ask the staring boy who seemed to be lost in thought.
He frowned, "haven't you got a date?"
I looked around, shook my head. "No, I don't think he's here tonight unfortunately."
"Then sure, I'd love to invite this beautiful lady in front of me to a dance." He answers, taking my hand and leading me to the dance floor. I swore my cheeks grew redder with each of his flattering words. He leads me into a dancing position as everyone else started gathering on the dance floor. Soon, we were swaying to the music. After a while, my eyes fly to spot Alya standing alone at a food table, Nino nervously standing a metre away, fidgeting with his green and black-themed attire, studying my friend. Alya, being the admittedly clueless girl she was, didn't notice her admirer.
Speaking of her, Alya had really put extra effort into looking great. She was wearing a simple yet stunning long yellow dress with an orange sash wrapped just above her waist. She had her contact lenses on (she rarely ever wears them) and her mask was a golden colour that shone in the light, the left side of the mask had black and orange feathers attached. The necklace with silver fake pearls and a diamond shaped Jewel sat resting on her collarbones, and was complemented with a matching bracelet on her right wrist. She had her hair down in her normal style but with a diamond-shaped clip in the right corner.
She looks like as if she needs a little help. I thought.
"Excuse me, gotta help a friend in need. I'll be right back" I smile at him.
He smiles back and I can feel him staring after me as I approach the lonely Alya.
"Hi! How's the party going Alya?"
She looks at me quizzically.
"Sorry to be rude, but do I know you?" she asks.
I face palm. Is this girl really that stupid?
"Your clumsy best friend Marinette. Ring a bell?" I question, raising an eyebrow.
"What?" she steps up to me and eyes me with warily. Then her face lit up in recognition and she gave me a welcoming grin. "Sorry Marinette, I couldn't tell with the mask on! I really thought you were someone else! I can't believe how stupid I am. Anyway, who were you dancing with just then? Mr. Handsome?"
I blush.
"A-a-actually... I don't exactly know his name yet...."
"Are you kidding me Marinette? Don't tell me you have a new crush!"
"No I don't!" I pout, "anyway, why don't you check out that guy over there? I think he might want someone to dance with!" I say in a sing-song voice. Alya glanced in the direction I was gesturing at, then she shot me a friendly glare.
"Wow thanks Marinette. Nino? Really?"
"Yup." I popped the 'p'.
She rolled her eyes but started walking over to him. "Make sure you know mystery guy's name before you leave this ball!"
I rolled back at her.
A deep chuckle sounded out from behind me. "Sounds like fun, would you like to know?"
I whipped my head around to meet the gentleman from earlier, standing right behind me. His emerald eyes looked into mine, and I faintly heard myself gasp.
"I-I uh..." I found myself lost for words. But I guess I didn't need any when someone interrupted.
"Why! You!!" the high-pitched voice yelled from behind us. I instantly placed the name to it, as I had heard that voice all to often.
Chloe.
I sighed and braced myself.
"So you're Marinette hey?! You thought you could hide behind that stupid mask of yours?! Think again! I personally made sure that Sabrina saw to what your dress looked like, and I also overheard your precious little exchange with your so-called friend." She spat the word out as if it were poison. She grasped me in the shoulders and shoved me backwards. I stumbled back at the force, bumping into a net of other people. I glared at her. How dare she do that to me? I knew Chloe was mean and all, but she had never physically attacked me.
"You were the one who ruined my life. You were the one who spoilt my chances with Adrien. And you were the one who stole him from me!"
I felt anger simmer in the pit of my stomach. I had made her miserable? I had ruined her life? I'm sorry, but who is this coming from?!
"So what's your point Chloe?" I struggled to maintain my temper in check, trying my hardest not to grit the words out.
"My point," she hissed, "is to make your life miserable in return! You stay away from my precious Adrien! And if you dare try to take him away..." She came up close to me as if she would strangle me. "You will pay dearly."
"Chloe! Break it up! Marinette—" Adrien was cut off.
Chloe had grabbed a chocolate cupcake from a nearby table, then fiercely smudged it all over my dress, her nails hooking onto some of the twine that kept the dress together in the process, which resulted in her ripping up and undoing fabric.
I gaped at her and my dress in horror. All the seams had been undone, bits of thread poking out everywhere, and worst of all, the giant smudge of cake stuck between sequins and impossible to wash out.
She sneered at me. "And keep your stupid dolls."
At first, I looked up at her in confusion, not being able to hide the tears in my eyes. But then, she reach out from her bag and held out the five dolls I had sewn for Manon. A deep pang settled in my heart. She wouldn't.....
Chloe looked at the Evillustrator doll in distaste, then pulled away the seams and ripped its arms off. Stuffing popped out everywhere, falling to the floor. I had frozen on the spot, my mind had tuned out to everything. I could only stare as she did the same in quick succession with the Ladywifi, Rodgercop and Chatnoir dolls. But the most painful to watch was the ladybug doll, as she said something vile that my mind couldn't comprehend, and started to rip the arm off, then the legs, then the head. She did it slowly, and I could faintly hear Adrien scolding Chloe in a harsh tone, but none of that mattered.
My eyes welled up with tears and they had started to cascade down my cheeks. I had to go. I had to get away from this. I was tired of my ongoing rivalry with Chloe. Not even caring to look back, I pushed through crowds as I ran towards the exit. Adrien was calling after me, and I also heard Alya. But I didn't care, because all my head was filled with was hatred. A small part of me at the back of my mind was telling me that I was highly vulnerable to one of Hawkmoth's attacks, but i ignored it.
How selfish of me.
My muscle memory had led me to a nearby park on a bench outside of the college. The darkness of the night wrapped itself around me and my skin was turning ice-cold, but it was there when I had finally wept out my tears freely. All that anger, sadness and frustration I had accumulated and kept away from my heart was all let out at once, shaking me to my core.
I curled up on the bench, fed up of all of Chloe's taunts, trying to manipulating our minds to think that she was better than everyone else. I was sick and tired of it, tired of everything. Tired of being ladybug, tired of putting up with Chloe, even tired of being so heads-over-heels in love with Adrien. I was tired of always being led on by someone, always tied up in strings. I was tired of always being someone else's Marionette.
"Marinette, are you—"
"No I'm not!" I yelled back at my kwami. I regretted my words instantly, but what could I do about it? It wasn't like as if I could take them back.
Weeping in my own turmoil of thoughts, I tuned out to Tikki's talking, especially ignoring her when she started to shout in my face about something.
It might've been my imagination, but I ignored the gentle flap of wings growing closer, and closer....
But it was when the man's voice entered my head that I couldn't refuse, and I no longer had the right mind to stop. My dark emotions amplified immensely as the akuma was absorbed into my bracelet.
"Hello Marionette. Your friends all led you on, like a puppet pulled on strings, but now the tables have turned. I will grant you the power to take away their freedoms of not listening to you. It is time for you to pull their strings. Do you agree?"
The hunger for this power filled me with a deep longing, and it felt impossible not to do anything but agree.
My eyes opened to purple as my mind agreed.

"Yes Hawkmoth."

Hi. Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Now, for a shameless plug:

For those who have instagram out there, and enjoy art, I have an art account under the name of @clover.charms, and it would be absolutely awesome if you could check that out! 💕💕