Chapter 58

*Niall's P.O.V.*

Oh god, why is she calling me all of a sudden? I try to remember if she had a doctor's appointment, but I just couldn't. The phone keeps ringing in my hand and I press "answer."

"Uh..hi Y/N," I stutter as I sit down on the bed. What could she want?

"Hi Niall, I just..uh, wanted to let you know about my doctor's appointment," she says sounding a bit nervous. I don't know if she's nervous about what she's going to tell me or that she's talking to me.

"Oh yeah? How did it go?" I reply.

"It went well. Everything is okay, got another appointment next month."

"Really? That's good that everything is well," I say as I chew on my nail out of nervous habit. I know there is something else she wants to say.

"Yeaaahhhh, listen I've been thinking lately that's why I haven't contacted you," she says. "Um...I've calmed down a bit since THAT day and I'm willing to listen to you. Ya know, talk about it."

I sigh mentally and close my eyes. Finally she wants to talk...

"Oh...well, I mean, yeah I'd like that. Uh, when do you want to talk? I'm free any day," I reply.

She sighs and says, "Can we do it tonight? I'd really like to get this off my chest soon as possible."

I cough and say, "Yeah that'd be fine. You want to come over? So that way we can have privacy."

"Yeah that would be nice. Meet you there at...7, yeah?"

"That's fine Y/N," I say.

"Uh, all right. Meet you in a few hours then, see you Niall," she says and hangs up.

I put my phone down and shake my head. I have to tell her the truth, there is no way I'm going to fuck this up. This is probably the only chance I have to make things better....to get her back.

"All right Horan, but first you might want to tidy the house you pig," my conscience says.

Riiigghhtttt...cleaning. Bleck.

-------------------------------------

*Later that day*

I just got out of the shower a few minutes ago and I'm getting dressed. Y/N will be here in a couple of minutes to talk. I quickly run my hands through my hair to let it air dry properly. I need to dye my hair again soon...

"Don't make a fool out of yourself Horan, don't ruin this," my mind says. "This is the last chance...do it right."

I nod and pull on a t-shirt. "I will try my best to fix this, I'm not letting her go without a fight."

I slip into my sweats and check the time. 5 minutes left...

I made sure the house was clean before she arrived. I literally spent 2 hours cleaning it from room to kitchen. I mean, I'm not so messy...but I did get lazy.

I look myself in the mirror and chuckle at myself. Why am I worrying so much? My stomach is turning and my hands are shaking.

*BING*

"Niall, open the damn door. It's fucking freezing outside!" reads her text.

Oh shit! I run to the door and unlock it. I slowly open it and see her standing on the front step, shaking.

"Finally you asshole," she mumbles through chattering teeth and walks into the house, pushing me out of the way.

"Sorry, I was in the bathroom," I say shutting the door. "You want something warm to drink?"

She shakes her head and unzips her jacket, revealing her stomach . "No I'm good, I'll warm up in a bit."

I gulp and sit on the couch. "Sooooo, should I start now?"

She sits down beside me and nods, "Yeah I guess."

I take a deep breath and clear my throat, "Well, where should I start?"

"Can you tell me why you sent Boss that email?" she asks.

"Well, it's a long story. But...I didn't mean a word in that email. I wasn't going to leave you Y/N," I say. "I said that so they can leave me the fuck alone. They've been harassing me about it and I kept telling them eventually and blah blah."

"But why didn't you tell me from the beginning Niall?" she says, raising her voice.

"I didn't want to worry you! We just got engaged and everything was going so well and you got into that accident," I say. "It just wasn't the right time."

"So you were going to do it that day?"

"Yeah that's what they wanted me to do," I reply.

"And you were going to through it?" she asks, sounding a bit shocked.

"No! No! Of course not, I had...I had like...a plan," I say looking at her.

She raises an eyebrow and says, " A plan?"

I nod slowly and scratch my head, "Uh yeah, so they could stop harassing me."

"Which was?"

"We could...like...pretend we broke up and everything," I say. She opens her mouth to say something but closes it. She frowns and crosses her arms across her chest.

"So you were willing to fake our relationship so they could leave you alone?" she asks looking at me and tilts her head a bit.

I cough and hang my head, "Uh...yeah I guess. I mean, I was thinking about you too!"

"HA! Thinking about me? Really? Niall, if you were, you wouldn't even think about pretending our break up. You would have TOLD me from the fucking beginning," she scoffs.

I flinch at her tone and say, "Well, I mean, I tried Y/N! I tried to think of something. I never wanted to leave you and the baby."

"But you were going to Niall! You do know what would happen if you did tell them that we did break up right?" she says

I nod. Of course I knew. I knew that management was going to give me a girl to date to stir more drama.

"Yeah I knew," I reply.

"You know how bad that would hurt me to see you with another girl?" she says. "That would be torture Niall. That would hurt me the worse. To see you out with another girl, kissing her and shit when that should be me!"

I look at her as she starts to get teary eyed and I can tell that she's trying her best to hold back the tears.

"Y/N, I know. But what else can I do? I don't them to harass you or I," I say scooting closer to her. She looks down, causing her hair to fall in front of her face.

"What else could I do?" I say. "I don't know what to do. I've got no clue to get them to leave me alone!"

She sighs and mumbles, "You would fight for us Niall. For Riley...I don't...I don't want him to grow up without his father."

I frown at the last sentence and grab her hand. "Y/N, I'm not leaving you and Riley."

She squeezes my hand lightly and pulls it away, "Then don't let them win Niall. What did you tell me when we first started dating?"

"That I wasn't going to let you go. I wasn't going to give up on us," I whisper.

"Exactly, you promised. Please don't break this promise," she says looking up at me, tears slowly falling down her cheek. "Please don't."

I wipe her cheek and say, "I'm not leaving you. Get that through your thick skull Y/N. Please, please understand that. Have faith in me. Do you trust me?"

She shrugs and wipes the corner of her eye, "I don't know right now. I just...I just...know that I don't want Riley to be without his father."

"He's not going to be without his father. Dammit, understand that!" I whine, squeezing her hand. "Please just trust me."

She looks at me and shakes her head slowly. "I don't know Niall. You lost my trust again."

"I know, I know. Can we work this out? Please? Even if you don't want to be back with me, can we work this out?"

She shrugs and rubs her forehead, "I...I...don't know."

I sigh and reply, "Well, you can come back home at least. This is your house."

"I told you no Niall. Where will you live?" she objects.

"I guess I'll go back home to Ireland," I say standing up. "Because I don't want to be here with us like this."

"What do you mean like this?"

I look at her and frown, "Y/N, if I stay, it'll just be awkward. Don't get me wrong, I want to work things out...to gain your trust again. But if you won't let me, then why should I stay?"

"Because Niall," she yells, standing up. "Because you have a son on the way! You can't leave us...you said it yourself!"

"I'm not leaving," I reply. "I...just need to give you back your home. I need to give you time to think of what you want to do about us."

I turn around and walk toward the room. She needs to know what she wants to do. Does she want to work this out or not?

I start packing my things when I hear her walking to the room.

"Niall," she says entering the room. I look up from the suitcase and notice that she's crying.

"Please don't leave," she cries. "Please? I need you...I need you to be here for Riley."

I drop the shirt I was folding and walk over to her.

"I told you I'm not leaving," I say grabbing her arm. "I just want to know what you want. Do you want to work things out? You already know my answer, I just need to know what YOU want."

I can feel that she's shaking as she cries. She wipes her cheeks and sniffles.

"I...I want to work things out for Riley's sake," she mumbles. "I need you to be here for him."

"What about you? Do YOU want me to around for YOU?" I ask.

She shakes her slowly and says, "No...no not for me. I want you to take responsibility for Riley. Don't worry about me."

"What? Y/N, how can I not worry about the mother of my child?" I scoff. "You can't expect me not to worry."

"Just...be a father. I don't want you back at the moment Niall," she says stepping back. "I don't want you Niall."

I was going to object but decide against it. That's it....she's made her decision. She doesn't want me, all she wants is me to be there for Riley.

I nod slowly and bite my tongue. She pretty much told that Riley will be the only reason that I'll be around. Not for her....

"Niall?" She says rubbing her arm.

"What?"

"You can...you can leave now," she says.

Is she really pushing me away? Is she really kicking me out?

I blink back the tears and cough, "I...I...okay."

-------------------

*Your P.O.V.*

You just gave Niall the green light to go. Although he told you that he wasn't going to leave, you made him. Right now, you don't want to deal with him. All you wanted to do was know his story.

He's been packing for the past hour. He's made arrangements to go back home.

"What are you doing?" Your mind says. "You can't just push him away."

You look down at your stomach and put your hand on it. "It'll be the best for now."

You hear him coming down the hallway with the suitcase.

"Um, I guess I'll go now. My flight is soon," he says.

You're sitting on the couch. "Okay," you reply without looking up.

He sighs and stands in front of you. "Do you mind?" He says gesturing to your stomach.

You shake your head and move your hand as Niall replaces yours.

"I guess I'll see you soon little buddy. Be nice to your mum and don't pop out until your due date," he says. "All right? I love you Ri."

You don't look at Niall as he talks. He kisses your stomach and whispers, "I'll be back don't worry."

He removes his hand and says, "I guess I'll see you whenever."

"Yeah," you reply.

He kisses your forehead softly and whispers, "Take care of yourself Y/N. If you need anything, contact me. Okay? I love you."

The last three words caused your heart to ache. This might the last time that he'll say it...and actually mean it.

"Okay," you reply and you feel Niall squeeze your shoulder.

"Bye Y/N," he says and grabs his suitcase and leaves.

You hear the door close and that's when you lose it.

"It's for the best," you say over and over through the sobs. "It's for the best, no matter how bad it feels."

------------------------
*1 week later. Your P.O.V.*