Epilogue.

"Grace, let's go. It's time for dinner." I called out loudly to which my daughter responded with a giggle and a shake of her head. I walked up to her swinging self, "You do remember that today is the family day, right? You wouldn't want to miss Granny's yummy Lasagna." On hearing about her favorite dish, she jumped off the swing and made a 'yay' noise.

We made back home just as mom was finishing with her cooking. She made Grace change into her pajamas and forced the little rebel to wash her hands properly.

I wasn't new at this parenting thing, I had been taking care of her since the day she was born but the bond she shared with mom was so special that she listened to her more than she did me.

It had been five years since the day Grace had entered our lives. No, I'll rectify myself. It had been five years, 3 months and fifteen days since Grace had born. That fateful day was full of sobs, tears, and sadness. Thinking back to it still brought a fresh amount of pain but it was the next day which came with sunshine and happiness as all of us heard Grace's laugh for the first time.

Despite being a premature baby, she was in good health, which was an astonishment even for the doctors. A week after Grace's birth, we had decided to move out and Zayn had then moved in along with us because he also wanted to be with his daughter. I understood him more than I had ever before because we shared similar happiness, sorrows, and concern for Grace. None of us could get enough of the little bundle of joy.

"Oi, what are you thinking about? Dinner's served. Where's our champ?" Zayn asked me, crossing his arms over his chest.

If anyone would have told me that I'd be living with Zayn a few years back, I would have laughed at them and then punched them in the face. However, Grace had brought us together. She was like her mother in so many ways that neither of us wanted to be without her for even a single moment. She kept Izzie alive with all her antics and mischiefs.

"Daddy!" Grace ran towards Zayn with my breathless mom in tow.

"Here she is." Zayn picked her up and twirled her around which made Grace laugh harder and made us grin wider. She had become the reason of our high spirits.

We never wanted to make her feel alone without her mother so every week we had made a tradition to have a family day where both of our mothers and Izzie's would get together at our house and tell Grace about all the little things each and every one of us knew about Iz.

Zayn and I had taken upon ourselves to give her the love of both a father and a mother. It didn't matter at all what other people thought of us living together; Grace's life and Izzie's wish for her to have a loving family is all that mattered.

"Daddy," Grace pouted, "I got a boo-boo." She said, extending her pinky finger towards me.

"Daddy'll kiss and make it better." I chuckled, kissing her on the tiny finger. She grinned from ear to ear, then turned around to get her kiss from Zayn.

"She's a monster." Zayn imitated in a low, growling voice which made Grace shriek and run towards mom. She hid behind my mom as the door bell rang. Zayn's and Izzie's family was here.

All of us gathered around the dining table. Grace was poking Zayn with her index finger, just to get a reaction out of him when he startled us all as a tear escaped his eyes.

"Daddy, why is daddy crying?" Grace asked me and then as though thinking of a better idea, she crossed from her seat to Zayn's, sitting on his lap and hugging him. Zayn clutched her back, looking at me from over her shoulder.

"She's a replica of her." He whispered.

No one had to guess twice to wonder what he was talking about. Tears pooled my eyes but I gathered myself up and went to the both of them.

I squeezed Zayn's shoulder as Grace smiled at both of us, "Tell me more about mom."

And so we did.

Even though it had been over 5 years, the wound of losing Izzie was still fresh in all of our hearts. Every year, we celebrated her day along with Grace's birthday just the way Izzie liked her celebrations - minus the booze.

We recounted about that one time Izzie wanted a girl's day out and was charged with drinking and driving. We told her daughter how brave she had been and how Iz had loved her even before she was born.

Izzie had left us with the sweetest gift of all and even though we missed her more than what words could describe, we did know that she'd be proud and happy for us wherever she was.