10

My alarm clock went off, signalling that it was five a.m. Reluctantly, I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling. Waking up had never been a problem of mine, the getting up and going to the gym had been. I had been 'gyming' for about seven months. My psychologist suggested that I started exercising to help alleviate the built up anxiety and anger I had. Working out five times a week had proven very beneficial to me. I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder caused by an unfortunate series of events that occurred two years ago. In time, exercising didn't just become beneficial physically but mentally as well. Through exercise I was able to reduce my ptsd symptoms and in turn my doctor was able to reduce the dosage of my prescription medication.

I rolled over and disabled the alarm clock, ending the daily sounds of Work by Rihanna. It was one of my favorite songs at the moment and was very upbeat that helped motivate me to get out of bed. I always stopped the song before Drake's verse came on. Yes, I went back to calling him Drake. Aubrey was a guy that I got a lucky chance to hang out with but Drake had replaced him and left Miami three weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since. Not that I could entirely blame him, he didn't exactly have anyway of contacting me. But I'm sure that Drake went back to living his highfalutin lifestyle, forgetting that our paths ever crossed.

I swung my legs over the edge of my queen sized bed and got up. Stretching as I walked into my adjourned bathroom. I walked over to the tempered, glass sink and turn on the hot water faucet. Squirting a dime of facial wash in the palm of my hand, I bent over and began washing my face, after which I brushed my teeth. I got in the shower and did a quick wash off, since I was going to end up being sweaty in a few moments.

Dressing in a pair of Nike black yoga pants, sports bra and Nike Roshe Run tennis to match I headed out the front door, grabbing my car keys as I left. I headed to the garage and got in my white Mercedes G Wagon, starting the engine immediately. The clock read 5:46, meaning that I had fourteen minutes to get to my morning workout session.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat at my desk, flipping through a portfolio that a new, Miami-based designer, called Marsce, had delivered to my office. Apart from working with top designers, I also enjoyed partnering with those who were just up and coming into the fashion industry. So far, my stores only had two local designers. I looked forward to making Marsce the third because I really admired these designs. This was an excellent way for these designers to get their names across.

An alert went off on my phone, reminding me to check my junk mail. Lately, any email that is sent from a contact that isn't already saved to the company server automatically goes to junk mail and our IT department has yet to solve the issue. As a result, we've missed out on a few potential clients. A knock sounded on my door and through the fogged glass I made out the silhouette of my administrative secretary and best friend, Nina.

"Come in, Nina!", I shouted.

She opened the door and stepped halfway in. "Avery, I'm headed to lunch. Want me to pick up anything for you?"

When I took over the business a year ago, it felt weird hearing persons, especially those older than me, refer to me as 'Miss Fields' or speak to me with such high regard. I guess that's the result of being a CEO of a company. I had told everyone to call me Avery and tried to create a more relaxed environment. Now, the four floors of the building that my company occupies are on first name basis and the atmosphere isn't uptight like it was when I first came. Everyone still pulls their own weight and gets their tasks completed.

"Where are you planning on going?", I asked.

"The bistro, two buildings over."

"Alright. Get me a roast beef sandwich with-"

"-swiss cheese and extra tomatoes, no onions", we said together.

I rolled my eyes at her. "You think you got me figured out huh?"

"I've been your best friend since middle school. I should know how you like your sandwiches by now." And with that she slipped out of the office, closing the door behind her. I have known her for about seven years, we met on the first day of eighth grade and have been inseparable ever since. She is a single mom to my three year old godson and nephew, Zac. She basically spent senior year waddling through the school's hallway and I was right beside her to punch anyone in the throat who made fun of her or even stared at her too long. And her babydaddy? Believe it or not, my older brother Vido.

They were hooking up behind my back for weeks because they knew I wouldn't have approved. But the darkness that they were doing eventually came to the light when she got pregnant and had to confess who the father of her child was. I have to commend the both of them because they do a great job at co-parenting.

I put a post-it on the page of the portfolio where I had stopped and closed it. I clicked the mouse of my iMac and the monitor that had gone into sleep mode lit up. I opened my email account and selected the junk mail bin. Scrolling to see if any of the names seemed important enough to open first. One particular email address caught my attention immediately and I clicked on the message.

From: a.d.graham
To: Avery Fields

Date: February 24, 2016, 3:18p.m.

Good Afternoon Miss Fields,

I hope that you didn't think for a second that I forgot about you. I'd just been extremely busy, you know how work is.
Long story short, I had my people contact your people and here I am sending you this email.
However, I'd rather we didn't converse via email. Is there anyway that we could talk on the phone so that we can get this partnership with our companies going?

Thinking of you,

A. Drake Graham
Chief Executive Officer
OVO Limited

It's ironic how i hated the sound of anyone else calling me 'Miss Fields', but when I read the opening statement of the email I blushed instantly. I saved his name to the server and hit reply.

From: Avery Fields

To: Aubrey Graham

Date: February 25, 2016, 12:52p.m.

Hello, Mr. Graham,

It's good to hear from you. I did believe that you had forgotten about me but thank you for reassuring me that you hadn't.
What was that in your email? Your weird way of asking for my number? Well here it is:

Direct line: (305) 656-4532 ext.12, Cell phone: (305) 254-8745

Sincerely,

Avery Fields
Chief Executive Officer

Fieldwork Incorporated 

Author's Note: Please Vote and Comment :)