26

I woke up feeling light taps on my face. Opening one eye, I saw Zac leaning over me smiling wide.

"Get up, Auntie Tweety!", he said still hitting me.

I gripped both of his tiny arms with one of my hands. "What for?"

"It's your birthday!"

I released his hands and placed a pillow over my face. "Go wake Allie. It's her birthday too!."

"Already did that", he boasted proudly. "We only waiting for you."

"Me? For what?"

"Breakfast! I helped Ms. Mara cook!"

"Good job, baby. I'll be down for breakfast soon."

"Want me to wake him too?", he asked innocently and pointed to the window.

I turned my head to a knocked out Aubrey on the seat in the bay window. He looked to be comfortable in such a small space. He was laying on his back with both arms behind his head. I had told him numerous times after we got in from the club that he could share my bed. However, he insisted on sleeping on the couch downstairs. I was just barely able to convince him to sleep in the bay window. I don't know what his problem is. Did he forget that we slept in the same bed the last time he was in Miami.

"No, thanks. I got this", I told Zac and he left my room.

Surprisingly, I wasn't hungover. That's probably because I didn't drink as much last night. I was still a little tired, though. I got up and went in the bathroom to take a shower. After which, I got dressed in some really casual clothing since I was staying home.

"Aubs", I said while shaking him

After a few more tries he began to awake. "What?", he groaned in the most sexy, sleepy voice ever.

"You hungry?"

He dragged his left hand down his face and squinted at me. "You wake me up to ask if Im hungry?"

"Ugh. Yea. Im gonna go eat. I was just checking to see if you straight or not."

He sat up and swung his legs over the edge, looking up at me. "Type question that is? A nigga always hungry!"

I burst out laughing. "Well you're suitcase is in my closet, if you need to shower and
change or anything", I informed.

When he had finished getting ready, we headed downstairs to the dining room to have breakfast. We would always try to have a meal as a family on birthdays. It was a tradition that our parents started when we were kids and even after they left, we kept it going.

Laid out was a spread of me and Allisha's favourite breakfast items. From banana pancakes and cinnamon french toast to eggs and bacon to hash browns and waffle fries.

"Oh shit! It's about to go down!", I exclaimed announcing my presence.

"Hurry up and sit down. We bout to die waiting on yall two", Allisha said.

Vido and DJ sat at the head of the eight seater dining  table. Zac sat at Vido's left and naturally, I sat at his right with Aubrey next to me. Allisha sat on the other end next to DJ.

"You guys already know who each other are, but Ill still make proper introductions", I started. "Dj and Vido, this is Aubrey or Drake. And Aubs, these are my two older brothers DJ and Vido." I pointed to them respectively.

"Well, I already met Vido", Aubs piped up.

"When was that?"

"The last time I was here. Like two months ago."

"You never told me that", I said to Aubrey and then turned to Vido. "And neither did you."

Vido just shrugged. "Must've slipped my mind."

"Bow yall heads", DJ instructed, before I could reply, as he lead us in prayer. "Father, I dont want to ask you for anything but to take time to just thank you for all that I have, especially my family. You know that they mean the world to me. Thank you for allowing my youngest sisters to see their twenty-first birthday. Even though we disagree on most things and argue about the simplest stuff, at the end of the day, I know that they love me and will have my back no matter what. But we're gathered here for good food, good conversation and good times so bless everyone here at this table, Lord. Amen."

We all said a unanimous, "Amen."

"Let's eat!", Zac shouted.

The food was laid out buffet style on the table so we all dug in and passed plates here and there to each other. The doorbell rang and we all looked at each other.

"Anybody expecting anyone?", Vido asked.

"Nah", DJ said. "But Imma get it."

He got up from his chair and went into the hallway that lead to the frontdoor. We all continued eating.

"Heeeell no!", we heard him shout from way back here. "Today of all fucking days?"

"This boy just finished praying and now he cussing?", Allie said rolling her eyes.

We looked at each other with confused looks. I wonder who was at the door. Probably, one of his business partners bringing some bad news. We all heard the clicking of heels on the marble floor. I was mistaken, this was a female, my brother doesn't do business with females.

"Of course, today of all days!", she said.

I recognized her voice instantly. It was as if time stood still. I froze with a forkful of hash browns in midair halfway between my plate and mouth.

 I froze with a forkful of hash browns in midair halfway between my plate and mouth

She entered the dining room with two large bags in her hands. "I brought gifts for my birthday girls!"

My hand began to tremble and the fork slipped from my grip and collided with the plate. Everyone turned to look at me. I was still frozen. I could feel my heart racing in my chest but the rest of my body was still numb.

"You ain't bout to ruin this day so ju-", Vido started.

"It's already ruined", Allisha said flatly before getting up and heading towards the house door. I heard the telltale sign of car keys before she left.

I started to bounce my leg up and down and felt tears prickle eyes. I wasn't gonna cry here, not in front of Aubrey and definitely not in front of her. She wasn't gonna see the power she had over me. I got up from the table before a single tear could fall.

"I'm not hungry anymore", I said before trying to leave.

Aubrey caught a hold of my wrist. "You good?"

I nodded and before I could reach the exit she grabbed my arm. "Avery, don't go. I came to talk to you."

I looked down at my arm that was still in her grasp then back up at her. "If you don't move your fucking hand...", I warned between gritted teeth.

She immediately let go of me. She know I didn't play that shit. I didn't want to leave Aubrey alone with my family, because I know how they can get at times. But I couldn't stand to be in the same room with that woman one second longer.

Seven years ago, I would've called her my mother. Now, she's nothing more but a disgrace and egg donor for my siblings and I.