12

I was laying off in one of the couches in my home recording studio. I had been in here all day working on some new music and decided to take a quick break to call Avery.

"I hope your siblings don't hate me for taking you away from them."

"My brother couldn't care less and Allisha...she'll get over it", she replied.

"Well you better sleep with one eye open, you know, just in case", I teased.

"Ha-ha. Very funny." By the tone of her voice I could imagine her rolling those big, brown eyes of hers.

"So you're only having dinner with your siblings? What about your parents?", I asked.

She didn't reply right away. It was quiet on the other end of the call. I would've thought that we got disconnected if I had not heard the faint sound of her silverware tapping against her plate.

"Umm", she started, her voice shaking.

"What're you eating?", I asked changing the subject because I could tell that her parents weren't her favorite topic to speak on.

I heard her sigh in relief. "Just some lasagna."

"Did you cook? Or was it twin?"

"Neither of us", she informed me. "We actually have a chef that prepares our meals."

"For real? Me too."

"I know you do."

"How'd you know that?", I asked.

"I'm a fan of yours, remember." I couldn't help but smile. "We fans tend to know random facts about our idols."

I leaned back onto the couch and supported my head with my free hand. "What other random facts do you know about me?"

"Mr. Graham, I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that this was a call regarding business not our personal lives", she informed me.

"Damn, Miss Fields, you just switched up on me like that?"

She laughed.

"Let's just say that I like to mix my business with a little pleasure", I said while intentionally making my voice deeper than usual.

"And you do this with everyone you're planning to partner with?", she asked.

"No. Just the beautiful ones."

"Back again with these corny lines?", she teased.

"It's these corny lines that make women all over the world fall for me", I said smoothly.

"I bet that feels awesome. Having that effect on women."

"It does actually, but it's even more awesome when I find a woman who can affect me that way."

"And have you found that woman?", she asked.

"Yea, I think I have. She's you, Avery."

"Me?",she asked in disbelief. "You barely even know me."

"And that's why I'm on this phone with you right now. I'm trying to get to know you."

"Oh, wow."

"Okay, I know it sounds crazy, but from the first time I laid eyes on you, I instantly felt something for you."

"I'm trying to wrap my mind around this", she said in a low voice. "And what exactly do you want from me? A relationship? Because if that's the case, I don't know if I can give you that."

I leaned forward on the couch, propping my elbows on my knees. "Avery, I want whatever you want. I'd never rush you into anything."

"I don't want to rush into anything."

"What exactly are you saying?"

"I want us to just take things slow. Start off as friends while we get to know each other better and see where that leads us.", she said.

"Friends?", I paused. "Okay, friends could work." For now.

I looked at my watch, it was a quarter past nine.

"I'd love to stay and chat", I said sounding a little more feminine than planned. "But I need to head back in the studio."

"Okay, no problem. We'll talk later."

"We'll most definitely talk later, friend", I said before disconnected the call.

I slid my phone in the pocket of my gray hoodie and walked back in the recording booth where 40 was impatiently waiting on me.