11

Technically my hours of work are the common nine to five, but I always stay over time, not wanting to leave until all my tasks for that day are completed. The clock on my desk read 7:21p.m.

"Okay, Avery, I think it's time to head home", I said to myself.

I checked my email to see if Aubrey had replied one last time, but he didn't. I tidied my desk and logged off my computer. I grabbed my purse, double checking that I had my keys and cellphone before turning off the lights and locking the door to my office behind me. The floor was empty and dimly lit, which was the norm since I was always the last person to leave on my office floor. The building had excellent security so I never felt uneasy about being here alone. Also, I am always strapped and armed, in the event I need to protect myself. I walked over to the elevator and pressed the 'down' button. The doors opened a short moment later and I walked through and pressed the 'ground floor' button.

When the elevator opened, I stepped onto the marble floored lobby. My heels made a clicking sound with every step that I took over to the receptionist's desk.

"Good evening, ma'am," the receptionist, whose name I didn't know, greeted me and I cringed at her calling me 'ma'am'. I hated the idea of people calling me 'Miss Fields', I most definitely don't want to be referred to as 'maam'. "How was your day?", she continued.

I took the register and looked for my name to sign out. "Busy, very busy", I replied. I glanced at the large digital clock on the wall, it read 7:33 p.m. "Good evening." I told her and turned to exit the building with my heels continuing to click on the floor. I pushed through the revolving door and stepped outside into the warm Miami air.

"Would you like me to escort you to your car?", one of the security guards offered.

"Please do, Hemsworth." I replied. The security officers had a tendency to refer to themselves by surname and I used that tendency when speaking amongst them.

We walked to the well lit parking garage. "How's your nephew doing? Nina doesn't bring him around as often anymore."

I laughed, "He's quite the handful, as most boys are at that age."

"Well you tell him that his Uncle Hemmy misses him."

"Uncle Hemmy?", I asked raising an eyebrow at him.

He chuckled. "Yea, Nina told him to call me that and well the rest is history." We arrived to my car. I took out my keypad and unlocked the door. "Well here you are.", he said while opening the door for me.

"Thank you." I got in the car, placed my handbag in the passenger seat and started the engine.

"Drive safely.", Hemsworth urged me before shutting the door.

I connected my cell phone to the aux cord before starting my 'driving' playlist and reversing out of the parking space. I honked my horn at Hemsworth saying 'goodbye' and proceeded to drive to the main road.

I had been on the road for about eight minutes, belting out the lyrics to Sorry by Justin Bieber when the song stopped playing and was replaced by my cell phone's ring tone.

"Hello?", I said answering the phone, not bothering to look down at the Caller ID so I do not take me eyes off the road.

"As if I could ever forget about you", an all too familiar, deep voice replied.

"Aubrey?", I asked kind of taken off guard.

"Were you expecting someone else?"

"No but I wasn't quite expecting you either."

"Hmm. I see. So what're you up to?"

"Not much. Just on the way home from work", I informed him.