23

"Yall having a party or something?"

We slowly pulled up to the curb in front Avery's house to find at least fifteen cars parked in the driveway and on the side of the road. 

"One of my brothers probably is", she replied. "Since there's no space to pull into the road, I guess we have to get off right here."

We hopped out of the car and grabbed a ton of shopping bags from the trunk. I'll admit it, I might have gone a bit over board with spoiling her today.

"I'll text you when to come back for me", I told Ace.

"Mr. G, you sure? Looks like I should stay, a good bit of people are there."

"I think I'll be good."

He nodded and watched us walk up to the house where the door was already swung open. Music was blasting and surprisingly I didnt know the song. However, I did know that it was a Caribbean artist by the accent and the beat.

"Everyone must be in the backyard", Avery pointed out. "Im hungry, I hope they got food."

We dumped the shopping bags in her bedroom and headed out back. Her backyard was spacious and had a cozy feeling. Everytime I'm at her house, I really wondered how much money this home costs and what exactly her family does to sustain their lifestyle. I doubt the clothing stores alone can fund all of this.

The backyard was crowded, some persons in the pool, or sitting around the lounge area and others on the basketball court. A few were dancing to the music that was playing. Avery took me by the arm and leaded me over to a makeshift buffet where an assortment of food was on display.
We both opted for pizza, and just as I was about to fill my plate I felt someone tugging on my arm. I turned around to see a darkskinned girl starring at me with wide eyes.

"I knew it was you!", she shouted. "You gotta sing for us."

I didnt realize that she still had her hand on me until Avery came to step in between his, pushing the girl back.

"Ease up, Cassandra", Avie said. "At least let him eat in peace."

Cassandra rolled her eyes and reached past Avery and took my hand, pulling me towards her. "Don't worry, I'm gonna give him back."

Avery gripped my other arm. "Im sure he doesn't wanna be bothered with you."

I felt like a toy that two children were fighting over being pulled here and there.

"He can speak for himself", she snapped at Avery and then looked at me. "Can't you?"

I looked at Avery. "Thanks for defending me but she's right I can speak for myself. Yeah, Im starving, but I can wait a little longer if it means making my fans happy."

"You're choosing her over me?", she sounded hurt.

"Avie, it aint even like that."

"It's fine, entertain your fans", she said dryly and walked off with a plate of pizza in her hand.

"Avery's always overdramatic when she doesn't get her way", Cassandra said.

I turned to her, "Alright what you want me to sing?"

"Um, how about something to hype this party?"

I walked over to the dj and looked to see what songs of mine he had. It wasn't a surprise that he had too many to count. The beat for 'Energy' dropped and I immediately started rocking to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A few songs in and I had to stop to grab some food and water. By then all the pizza was gone so I had to settle for chicken from Popeye's. I was sitting around an unlit firepit with some fans just talking. I lived for moments like these with my fans when we could just chill like normal people and I wouldn't have to worry about someone screaming at me or being attacked. The downside to this was that Cassandra was a  little too close to me and she constantly kept trying to flirt with me. I, of course, ignored all of her advances. Looking around, I spotted Allisha and excused myself from the group and headed to her.

"Hey, twin", I greeted her.

"Will you ever stop calling me that?", she asked.

"Nah. Probably not."

"What's up?"

"Just that I might've pissed your sister off and I can't find her."

She laughed. "I wish I could help, but I havent seen her since she left to go out with you on Friday."

"But today is Sunday."

"Exactly. I haven't seen her in two days."

I sighed. "Alright, thanks."

I walked over to the minibar and got a cup of Heineken. She isn't out here so maybe she's in the house somewhere. But then again their house is kind of big, I wouldn't want to go walking around not knowing where to go. I did know how to get to her bedroom, so I'll check there first. Walking, up the stairs, I was greeted, well stopped by a guy who was sitting at the top of the staircase. Seated, next to him was a little boy, who I recognized as, Zac.

"You lost or some shit?", the guy asked me.

"Um, no, I was just looking for Avery."

"I know you looking for my sister. I just don't know why you feel like you could come up to her bedroom."

"Look, man, Im sorry if I over stepped any boundaries by coming up here."

"You over stepped boundaries the minute you thought to come up here."

Zac slid his tiny body, into the guy's lap. "Daddy, be nice to Aubrey", he said.

His dad looked at him and then back at me. "How the fuck my son knows who you are?"

I was about to tell him that he shouldn't be cursing in front if the little guy, but I didn't want to infuriate  him anymore. It is his house afterall.

"He was there when I FaceTime with Avery", I informed him.

He nodded. "Answer me this, what you want from my sister?"

"Nothing other than to make her happy."

"Make her happy?", he scoffed. "You might as well change your answer, she aint gone never be happy."

"Yeah? Well she seems pretty happy when she's with me."

"She smiles and laughs but that's just a show for those who look on from the outside. On the the inside, she's hurting, she's been through hell and back. And to say you wanna make her happy? She lost all happiness a long time ago. The most you'll be is a temporary distraction from her pain."

I honestly didn't know what to say to that.

"I aint saying don't date my sister. I'm telling you watch out. From your songs, I take you for a soft nigga who wears his heart on his sleeve. If Im right, you gonna fall for my sister and she gonna break your heart because you'll love her and she'll never love you."

"You sound so sure."

"I am sure because I know her a lot better than you do", he said.

After a long pause, he continued, "If you still wanna find her, she's downstairs in the living room."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please vote and comment :)