15

I hadn't really spoken to Aubrey in a few days. Honestly, it wasn't anyone's fault. I've been extremely busy with work. It's March and designers are ready to release their spring collections. So my time has been completely tied up ensuring that all deals go smoothly between my company and theirs. As for Aubrey, he's a multimillionaire so I can't blame him, I know that his schedule is extremely hectic.

I decided to send him a text message.

Avery: Hey Aubs 😉

I was laying on the couch eating a bag of chips and waiting for Aubrey to reply when Zac came and climbed into my lap with the cutest pouting face on.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"I wanna go to the park", he replied in a soft voice.

"Well did you ask anyone to take you?"

He nodded. "Daddy said no."

"Why did your dad say no?" He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm sure he has a good reason. Let's go talk to him." I stood up and bent to hold Zac's hand but he pulled away from me.

"I don't wanna go to daddy.", he said sounding scared.

My heart went out to him. By the way he was acting, he must have been misbehaving and not going to the park was probably his punishment.

"Okay, you stay here and I'll go talk to him."

He nodded and sat on the couch. I flipped the TV from the movie that I was watching to a cartoon for Zac. Vido was in the backyard shooting some hoops so I headed out there.

"Why can't Zac go to the park?", asked him.

"That's what you walk out here to ask me?"

"Yeah. He looks like he's gonna burst in tears."

"Good that means he learned his lesson."

I rolled my eyes. "Just tell me why you punished him."

"I don't see how me punishing my son is any of your business."

"It is my business because he's my nephew and godson!"

"Do you always gotta say nephew and godson. It sounds dumb. Just pick one."

"Well I'm sorry for taking my role as aunt and godmother seriously," my voice got loud. I felt my phone vibrate in my hand. I hoped it was Aubrey.

"Tweety, you gotta chill. You know that you're the only person who questions what I do concerning my son?"

"No, I'm not."

"You are. DJ nor Allie does. Shit neither does my babymomma-"

"Nina. She has a name", I corrected him. I hated when he referred to my best friend as 'babymomma' as if she was a pointless hookup.

He kissed his teeth. "All you need to know is he was being rude, not listening to me. You acting like I gave him a jail sentence or something. Shit, he's lucky I didn't whoop his ass."

"And if you did I would've beat yours." In return Vido laughed as if I just told him the funniest joke of the year. I unlocked my phone and saw that it was Aubrey replying to me.

Aubrey: Aubs? 😏 I like the sound of that.

Avery: What are you up to?

I walked back into the house to be with Zac.

Aubrey: Dealing with a hangover. You busy?

Avery: No. Why?

A few seconds after I sent the text a FaceTime request came through. I jumped up from the couch and ran to one of the downstairs bathrooms to look in the mirror to make sure I looked good. Then I ran back into the living room and sat down on the couch trying to act natural. Zac was staring at me like I was crazy.