Chapter 4: The Midnight Walk

Tying up my hair as I walked, I stopped outside of the majestic old painting of the Fat Lady.

"Yes...?" She drawled, she had never been very fond of me.

"Fortuna Major." I said quickly, impatient to be inside and back with Ron and Hermione. The Fat Lady glared at me for a fraction of a second, before slowly swinging open, revealing the circular door behind the enchanted canvass. Clambering inside, I strolled over to the jumble of chairs in front of the fireplace and threw myself down. Dropping my bag in the process. Closing my eyes, I rested my head back and felt the warmth of the fire against my eyelids. I became aware of the feeling of being watched. Opening my eyes, I looked from Hermione to Ron, who were both staring at me.

"What?" I snapped, I was getting slightly tired now and feeling hungry.

"Well...?" Started Hermione.

"What did Professor Git want?" Ron finished for her.

"Oh Er..." I paused, contemplating whether I should tell them. Snape didn't say I could tell anyone. Then again I didn't ask. I should really ask him before I tell people. Making up a quick excuse, I tried my best to look disinterested. "He just... Wanted to know whether I would be interested in extra potions classes on Tuesday's. You know, try out some of the more advanced stuff."

"Oh." Said Ron. "What'd you say? No right? Who'd what to spend extra time with Snape?"

"Actually I said yes. It might be cool to try out some of the potions we don't do in class. It's really difficult stuff though apparently. But I'll try it out for a few weeks." I shrugged.

"You're mad Aims!" Said Ron, starting to get up. "I'm gonna go get changed before dinner."

As he walked away, I looked to Hermione, to find her staring at me intently.

"Oh what now?!" I exclaimed, tired of her lately strange behaviour. She looked at me for a few seconds, slightly narrowing her eyes. As if she was squinting to try and read something. Eventually she seemed to give up and turned away.

"Nothing. Come on Amy. Ron's right, dinner is soon. We should go get changed." And she too stood up and headed towards our dormitory, which we shared with Ginny, Ron's younger sister, and two girls called Rebecca Manson and Emily Davies. We got on well but didn't really hang out together outside of the dorm. I stared after my best friend, confused at her strange behaviour. Trying to decipher what was going on for a few seconds, I eventually gave up. Stretching slightly, I picked up my bag and headed for the stone spiral staircase.

***

About twenty minutes later I was strolling down the corridor arm-in-arm with Hermione. My school robes replaced with dark blue jeggings, a loose cream jumper, and worn brown leather combat boots.

"So you... What homework do you need to finish later?" Said Hermione. Pulling gently on my arm to get my attention.

"Oh... Er, the Transfiguration essay and that Potions one Snape set us earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if you have already finished both!" I replied, grinning at Hermione.

"Well..." She said, as we walked to our usual spot in the Great Hall, where Ron and Ginny were already sat. "I have done the Transfiguration one, but I've only really started the Potions one. I did some when we got back to the dorm."

"Smartarse!" I muttered, loud enough for all three to hear me as we sat down.

Ron looked up and laughed. "Isn't she always?!" Which earnt a cold glare from Hermione.

As I helped myself to some of the chicken pie and boiled potatoes, and Ron and Hermione were talking about an article from that mornings Daily Prophet, Ginny and I started talking.