Chapter 6: Rumours

I woke up to the girls lying in bed and talking. I pulled back my curtains and joined in.

"Okay. Are you ill? You're never up this early!"

I yawned and stretched. "And you guys never talk so loudly of a morning!" I grinned. "What's so important then?" They looked from one another, and then back at me. It was obvious their conversation involved me in some way. "What?" I asked.

Hermione smiled at me brightly. "Nothing." She said, whilst Emily went into the bathroom, and Rebecca went downstairs. I looked at Ginny and Hermione.

"Okay... What the fuck were you talking about?" Hermione got up and sat on my bed next to me, whilst Ginny brought the chair over from near the heater.

"Listen Amelia. You need to be careful around Snape. People are starting to notice a difference, and a few clever people have started thinking it has something to do with you."

"I don't mind whether they know it's to do with me." I said. "What's the big deal?"

"The big deal is that some people are thinking similar to what me ad Ron thought." Ginny looked questioningly from me to Hermione. I quickly explained the situation and swore her to secrecy.

"Oh." I said quietly.

"Yep" Said Hermione. "But don't worry about it too much. One, it's just a suspicion. And two, not a lot of people think anything is going on."

"Do they?" I asked, motioning towards the doors. Signalling Emily and Rebecca. Ginny and Hermione looked at each other nervously. I put my head in my hands and sighed.

"Not now, I don't think. I told them that you do advance Potions every Tuesday. Which is why you are there quite a lot."

"Yeah but even they said that doesn't explain why Snape has changed." Said Ginny. Suddenly my thoughts from last night flashed through my mind.

"Right, okay. Whatever. Can we talk about something else now?" I must have looked flustered or panicked because they both looked at each other and back at me. After shrugging, Hermione brought up homework. As usual.

***

Sat in the Great Hall, which had gone fractionally quieter when I went in. I could feel people looking at me. I pushed my uneaten plate of breakfast away from me and looked to Hermione.

"I thought you said only a few people thought it?" I questioned. I could feel myself getting worked up about it, and I didn't know why. It's not like there were any foundations to the claim that was being whispered around. I took my chances and quickly glanced at Snape. His eyes found mine and he cocked his head slightly. Obviously wondering what was wrong. I looked away quickly, and back to Hermione.

"Hey. Are you alright?" She said. Suddenly looking worried.

I tried to nod but felt a lump in my throat. I started getting angry at myself then for being so stupid. I had never let what people thought of me affect me before, so why was I now. I already knew the answer. Because it involved someone else. And I wanted the rumours to stop for Him. If they got to the wrong ears, there would be an inquiry. And I wanted to protect the place he was working so hard to improve.

Suddenly, someone walking behind me whispered.

"Slut." In the blink of an eye I was on my feet, my wand out. And the person who had whispered was on the floor.

"SAY THAT AGAIN!" I shouted, my anger getting the better of me. I could hear Hermione trying to calm me down and asking Ron to stop me. I looked down at the boy from my year. Some Slytherin called Rosco who I had never spoken to before. The students were deadly quiet. But I could hear McGonagall shouting at me to put my wand down. The lump in my throat rose slowly, choking me. The boy shuffled backwards away from me quickly. He looked scared for his life. I felt a hand rest on my shoulder firmly and I looked up to see Minerva's angry, yet worried face. I looked to Hermione as McGonagall tried to lead me from the Great Hall. Suddenly I couldn't bear her to touch me. I quickly shrugged her off as the tears started to fall. I looked back to see Snape, stood up and starting to follow me. I raced through the double doors and out into the grounds.