Chapter 15: Separation

At the end of the day, I walked into the great hall and rested my head against Hermione's shoulder. I had not seen them at lunch because I had run in with Minerva halfway there and ended up having lunch with her in her quarters. She had thankfully not asked me about Severus, however I had caught her smiling secretively on more than one occasion.

"Hey. You alright?" Hermione asked, laughing at me. "How'd it go this morning?"

"And where the hell were you at lunch?" Ron added.

"It went well. Sever, urm... Professor Snape said that if Dumbledore didn't hire me he would. And I was with Minerva at lunch." I replied to both of them, before catching Hermione's raised eyebrows. "What?"

"Sweetie. I don't know why you covered up calling him by his first name. If you can do if for McGonagall, why hide it for Snape. Given the circumstances, it would be weird if you still addressed him as 'Professor'."

"Yeah." Ron agreed, shoving a sandwich into his mouth.

"Yeah okay. But I still have to call him Professor Snape around others. Just because you know about it, no-one else can."

"Yeah. We know. But if you're gonna say his name. Then say it with us and don't have a heart attack about it." Ron said, slightly muffled by a mouthful of food.

"Oh honestly Ronald. Will you swallow your food before you talk? You're so, so..."

"So what?" Ron asked after finishing his mouthful. A mischievous glint in his eye.

"Oh for heavens sake!" Hermione said, hitting his arm playfully but grinning at the same time.

"So. What are...? Hermione started to say, before Dumbledore stood up and walked in front of the head table.

"Attention students. Due to the fact that the majority of you will probably wish to go shopping, we have arranged for tomorrow and the rest of today, no lessons will be taking place." To this a cheer went up through the students, and I heard Hermione groan about not being able to hand in her Transfiguration essay. Dumbledore smiled before continuing. "Years 1 to 3 will be going to Hogsmead this evening. All of your parents have been contacted about this. Your heads of houses will be in charge of who is allowed to go. Tomorrow, years 4 to 7 will also be taken to Hogsmead in the afternoon, again heads of houses will be in charge. However, tomorrow, we have arranged for the common room fireplaces to be connected to the Floo Network and all students over the age of 17 will be allowed to go to Diagon Alley for the day. They will not be supervised as such but several teachers will also be there after lunch. These will include Madame Hooch, Professor McGonagall, Professor Flitwick and Professor Snape. Please be aware that the Floo network will be guarded and no student under the age of 17 will be able to use it. Other than that, have fun." As he sat down again the noise in the Great Hall immediately rose as everyone started to talk about the trip.

"Oh Merlin's Beard." Hermione groaned. "What was the point of us doing those blasted essays' then?!"

"Shut up Hermione. You would have done it whether you had known or not." Said Ron. "And besides. You can still give it to McGonagall. She is our head of house you know." Hermione gave him a withering look and he slouched in his chair, going back to his food. I grinned at Hermione and laughed as she mouthed 'Shut up' at me.

"What? I didn't say anything?! Did I say anything Ron?"

"Leave me out of this." He replied, glancing cautiously at Hermione.

"Whatever." She said, smiling at her plate.

"What were you going to ask me?" I asked her a few minutes later.