Chapter 11: Legilimency

I sat down on the grass, next to the huge oak that I usually go to, and smiled when Severus sat down next to me. Dumbledore had been right. The Black Lake glistened in the relatively early morning sunlight, yet the water was dark. Occasionally, the water would ripple as something came near the surface, or if a slight breeze came over it. I felt Severus lean back against the tree a turned to look at him. He had his eyes closed and was smiling gently. He turned his head and looked at me.

"So then. You up for teaching with me?" I grinned and leaned against him, both of us looking towards the Lake once again.

"Yeah... I think so. Why? Do you think I'm not?"

"I never said that."

"But perhaps you thought it?"

"Never would I doubt you. But it will be interesting to see what sort of impression you make on the first years."

"Hmmm... On a scale of dim, dreamy Trelawney to, well... The old you. Where do you think I will come?" He turned to look at me again, his eyebrows furrowed in question.

"What do you mean, the old me?"

"You know." I hunched my shoulders and lowered my voice in a mock personation of his previous character. "Dark, imposing. I can still hear you all breathing kind of teacher." He laughed and shuffled forward, lying flat on the ground. I stayed sat up and looked down at him. He was still laughing.

"I'm not that well acquainted with my old reputation but I would like to think I was not the male version of Madam Pince. She's scary." I started laughing.

"I dunno, I could see you as a librarian here." He looked up at me in horror. "Joking! Joking." He chuckled quietly, the deep sound making my stomach flutter for a moment. I blushed and looked out at the Lake.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing."

"Amelia..."

"What?" I snapped. He looked at me in surprise.

"Sorry." I said, looking down at my hands. He sat up straight.

"Look at me." He said. I did as he asked and immediately felt a small pull in the back of my head when our eyes locked. For a split second I contemplated letting him see. Letting him into my thoughts would mean he would see everything I have hidden for the past few months. Suddenly I felt tears come to my eyes and I quickly looked away. He was one of the best friends I have. I couldn't risk losing him. He would be creeped out. He is still my Professor after all. No matter what I feel. I found the courage to look up at him and found him looking at me intently.

"What was that?" he asked. My mind started racing. What did he see? How long was he looking for?

"What do you mean?" I asked. My voice shaking.

"Let me see that again." I shook my head. Even though I was getting the impression that it was too late.

"Amelia. I have already seen most of it." I looked up at him. His eyes were full of emotion. He took my hands and looked me in the eyes. "Please?" he asked. I nodded and felt the same pull again. It was too late. I closed my eyes and let the tears fall. This was it. He knew. Suddenly I felt his hands on the side of my face. My eyes flashed open just as his lips met mine. I was slow to react but quickly got over the shock. I rested my hands on his chest and closed my eyes again. My heart raced in my chest and I was losing breath. After what felt like a seconds, but was probably a few minutes, Severus pulled back and rested his forehead against mine. We both caught our breath and he reluctantly moved away. His hands were still holding my face.

"Sorry." He said, a slow blush creeping over his cheeks.

"What for?" I asked, trying to control the massive grin which had spread over my features.

"I shouldn't have done that, you're my student. I shouldn't..." He trailed off and turned back around to face the lake, removing his hands in the process.

"Then why did you?" I asked, resting a hand on his arm.

"Because you wanted me too." I looked at the Lake, my smile faltering slightly at his reply. "Because I wanted to." He finished in barely a whisper. I looked to him again and kissed his cheek. He looked at me in shock. "Amelia. You are still my student."

"Except for lessons 1 and 2 on Thursdays, on which I will be your assistant." I said, making him smile.

"Yes, but you you will still technically be my student. There have been rumours before Amy. We can't risk giving them any foundations to start again."

"I know." I admitted, because he was right. I rested my head on his shoulder again and felt his arm wrap around me, pulling me closer to him. He chuckled to himself and I saw him touch his lips. "What?" I asked.

"You don't know how long I have wanted to do that." He said. Looking down at me. I tried to hide my smile.

"You know how long I have." I said. "I didn't know you could do Legilimency?"

"You learn something new every day." I smiled as a small breeze brushed over the Lake once more.

"Amy?" He asked.

"Yeah?"

"That can't happen again. I'm not saying I don't want it to. I'm saying it can't. However much Dumbledore might want it to." He said the last part so quietly I'm not sure I was meant to hear it.

"I understand. But I can't say I won't stop..." I paused so I could chose my word carefully. "Caring for you."

"Nor I you. But that changes nothing. Come on. We should be getting back." He said. He stood up and held his hand out for me. As I stood, I lost my balance and fell against him. He held me steady, but didn't let go of me. One of his hands was resting on my back, and the other came up to my face. He slowly ran his thumb against my cheek, and my breath caught in my throat. He closed his eyes and let out a breath, as if in pain. Gently pushing me away, he shook his head. "No, not whilst you are my student." He almost seemed to be addressing himself.

He turned towards the castle, and I did the same. 

We walked in silence.