Chapter 9: The Notice

Severus's POV

I tapped on the wall with my wand, muttering the three letters of my password.

"ASB." I heard Amelia gasp next to me in realisation, but ignored it. When we were both inside, I shut the main door and headed straight over to the one that led to my bedroom. Leaving Amelia to look around the main part of my living quarters. I stopped for a second. Should I have brought her in here? I shrugged to myself. Too late now. Moving over to my wardrobe, I opened it and bent down to retrieve the large black box placed carefully in the bottom. Lifting it out, I quickly checked it for any dents, and feeling satisfied that it was okay, I gently rested it on my bed and opened it. Retrieving the small photo album from my robes, I quickly tucked it at the bottom of the box. I didn't know why I was giving it to her. I didn't want it. And she enjoyed looking through it. I closed the box and went back to the living room.

As I walked in, I saw Amelia place the small picture of my time in the Slug Club back on the mantelpiece. I walked to the table, moving my hand to make her follow me, and placed the box down.

"Now before you get annoyed at me and say I shouldn't have got this. It is a thank you for you helping me. Plus, the posters are being put up today anyway. So it may also be for that." I said, meaning the Christmas Dance.

"For what Severus?" She asked, eyeing the box speculatively.

"You'll see. Open it." I said whilst sitting down, feeling excited for her reaction,and pleased that she called me Severus, even though she had been calling mesuch for the past six weeks.

I watched as she pulled the lid off the box and removed the tissue paper. I rested my head on my hand and tried to hide my smile behind my fingers as Amelia looked up at me in shock. She took the dress out of the box and looked to me again. A huge smile betraying her happiness.

"What on earth is this?"

"I told you. It's a thank you. Plus, you're going to need one!" I replied as I stood up and took the dress from her. Holding it up against her, I smiled knowing that I had made the right choice. I didn't know the first thing about dresses or shoes, but with help from Madam Malkin, I knew that they would look amazing on her. She took it back off me and examined it closely.

"Do you like it?" I asked, hoping that I hadn't judged her taste in clothes too poorly.

"Are you kidding me? It's beautiful. I love it." She replied, carefully placing it back its box before quickly putting her arms around my neck and her head against me. I hesitated, knowing that it was improper. But soon remembered that we were in my chambers. I put my hands around her and pulled her close to me. Feeling my heart speed up as her warmth radiated through my robes. I didn't want to let her go, but she suddenly pulled away from me, blushing. Did I affect her too? I looked at her questioningly, a small flicker of hope rising in my chest.

"Thank you Severus." She said quietly. I decided to test whether my hope was at all founded, and gently touched her chin. I struggled not to smile when she didn't pull away.

"Please don't thank me. This is a thank you from me." I replied as I removed my hand and put the lid back on the box. "I had a house elf find out your sizes. I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not." She said. We watched each other for a short while, before the clock hanging above the fireplace chimed.

"Four o'clock!" She gasped. "I have to go. They will be back from Hogsmead soon." I nodded and handed her the box. Feeling sad that she had to leave. She took it from me gently and smiled.

"See you later Sev."

She shut the door behind her and I sat down on my sofa. What the hell was I doing? She is my student. I had been fighting my feelings for her for weeks, but I can't be hoping that she loves me. I can't love her. It's not allowed. I rested my head in my hands and sighed.