Chapter 18: The Law of Love

Four days later I had been poked, prodded, plucked, pampered, powdered and petted to perfection. My skin was smooth and my nails were round and immaculate, and we were enjoying our last few hours at the beautiful resort before the dance later that evening.

I sat back in an oversized Jacuzzi with a cool crisp glass of Prosecco clutched in my hand, smiled at my two friends.

"So then Aims." Hermione said, putting her glass down on the marble surface behind her. And looking like she meant business. I raised my eyebrows at her and smirked.

"Whoa!" Said Ginny, sitting up. "You look so much like..." She stopped suddenly. And I had an idea what she was going to say.

"Ginny babes. If you two are going to talk to me about this, then now is the best time to do it. I'm okay. I can talk at the moment because I'm relaxed. Thank you for this weekend, it really has helped." I said. Hermione nodded.

"You're welcome." She said.

"So" I said, "Who do I look like?" I asked Ginny, pulling the same face as before. She looked nervously at Hermione, who nodded, and then back at me.

"Snape. The old Snape, you know that face he used to do. You just, it was exactly the same." She said, smiling sadly. I grinned.

"Ah well. So, you two obviously have questions. I'm serious. I'm okay. If you're going to ask me. Do it now." I replied, taking a sip of the drink. The gentle heat of it travelled down my throat and I briefly closed my eyes in pleasure. Whether because of the hot water, the Jasmine and White Tea scented air, or the alcohol. I wanted to talk about Severus. I had been thinking about him a lot whilst I had been at the hotel. I regretted getting angry. I should have just spoken to him. But what is done is done.

"Well." Hermione began. "What happened? I think that should be the first question."

I took a deep breath in and looked at them. "I told him we couldn't..." I said, flapping my hand that wasn't holding the drink slightly. "We, we could have been caught before and it just put things into perspective. I don't want to hurt him. Or his career." I said, not sure who I was trying to convince. I took another calming sip and the bubbles tickled the back of my throat. I looked to see Hermione looking at me curiously. "Next question?"

"Why did you decide so suddenly?" Ginny asked. Looking at me with one raised eyebrow.

"Yeah." Hermione added. "You'd only just been talking about spending Christmas with him?"

"I don't know. I just... I don't know. And his reaction." I looked down, losing confidence and scrunched my eyes shut at the memory of his blood on the cold stone floor of the Astronomy tower.

"What reaction?" Ginny asked, looking at me inquisitively. I looked back up at them, drinking another small sip of the fabulous drink, my confidence raising slightly.

"He, well he just turned. So quickly, going straight from, well, whatever he was to me, back to teacher in the blink of an eye. How was it so easy for him?" I asked my friends, looking at them imploringly.

"Amy. He was probably hurt." Hermione said softly, and Ginny shot her a frown.

"That wouldn't give reason for him to be rude." The redhead quipped. Which I immediately argued against.

"Oh no, no Gin. He wasn't rude. I just... I know I hurt him. But I didn't want to risk his career. But he just turned cold straight away. The only sign that he wasn't perfectly fine was the blood." I said, making both of my friends immediately look at me in what could only be described as concern.

"What blood?" Hermione asked, brown eyes burning into my own.

"Well, he was holding the railing of the Astronomy tower as it all happened. And I mean he must of really been holding it, because I think he cut his hand. There was blood on the metal, and the floor when he left. But his eyes... They just looked so, cold again."