Chapter 13: Interruption

After a double Herbology Lesson I practically skipped my way over to Severus's classroom. Knocking gently I walked in and found a student with floppy brown hair, and who looked like a first year, sitting writing lazily. He yawned dramatically as I saw Sev coming out of his cupboard with some papers and a book in his hands.

"Ah, Amy. There you are."

"Hey Sir." He raised his eyes at me at the formal address, before seeing the boy sat at the desk.

"Are you done yet Stevens?" He glared at the boy. I watched in surprise as the extremely cocky first year glared back.

"I dunno Professor..." He drawled, almost mockingly. "You tell me. Are you satisfied with my work or are you going to continue to punish me for something that 'aint my fault."

"Hey!" I said sternly before I could stop myself. Walking to the front of the boy's desk I put my bag down and my hands flat against the desk and leant forward. "You listen to me kid. How dare you talk to Professor Snape like that? I don't care what you have or haven't done. You will finish the work you have been set to the best of your ability and I will never hear you speak in such a way to a Professor again or I will see it upon myself to have with Filch for a week. Do I make myself clear?" The small boy cowered in his seat and swallowed. When he didn't reply. I moved slightly closer. "Well?"

He stuttered as he tried to speak. "Ahem... Urm, yes... Yes Miss...?"

"Baxter."

"Yes Miss Baxter."

"Apologise." I said as I stood up straight. I looked over to Severus and had to bite back a laugh at the absolute shock plastered on his face.

"Urm... Sorry Professor." Sev was brought out of his reverie as the boy addressed him. He glanced down at him and waved his hand in a dismissive way.

"Fine. You may go tonight Stevens. But if you cause havoc next lesson then the punishment suggested by Miss Baxter will be a lot closer to the truth. I expect exemplary work from you to make up for what you have lost today. 5 points from Slytherin. And I want a half-foot essay on the Boil Cure for next lesson." Stevens grabbed his bag and left without another word. Severus looked at me for a short while before walking over and picking up the piece of parchment left by the first year. Tutting, he tore it in half and threw it into the bin. I pulled a chair up to his desk as he checked through the papers he had brought out.

"Well done." He said as he stopped and looked at me.

"For what?" I asked as he smiled.

"Not even I can control that little..." He stopped himself and chuckled. "Jack Stevens is a worse than a Cornish Pixie!"

I laughed before putting on a mock serious face. "Harsh! But thank you." He inclined his head in acknowledgement.

"You will make a good teacher here." He replied, seemingly dazed.

"Right then. Thursday... What are you doing?"

"You mean what are we doing?" He grinned at me. I smiled in return as he gestured for me to stand beside him. "You may remember doing this particular Potion?" I glanced down at the open book on his desk.

"The Forgetfulness Potion? Of course I remember it! Slughorn wasn't that good at teaching it but he was okay. I found it easy. But this is only a first year thing... I'm helping with a second year class first."

"Yes I know. They are currently half way through brewing a Swelling Potion. Which I know you can do."

"Yep. Swelling Potion? Easy." Severus chuckled to himself and handed me a piece of parchment.