Chapter 10: Spontaneous Visit

I woke early the next morning to sunlight coming in through the gap in the curtains. Getting up, I pulled them fully closed and went to the bathroom.

About half an hour later, I had showered and washed my hair, dressed and applied makeup and had sorted out my school bag so it only held the things I would need for a Sunday. Emily, Rebecca, Ginny and Hermione were still asleep for once, so I went downstairs. I looked at the clock. 6:03. Breakfast would start in about an hour, not that anyone would actually go down at seven, considering it lasts until 9:30. I let out a breath and sat on the sofa, wondering what to do. I opened my bag and took out the photo album, flicking through it once, I suddenly closed it with a sharp snap. My mind made up, I left the common room.

Coming up to the section of the wall that we had stopped at before, I took out my wand and gently tapped the three bricks, calling out my initials as I did so. When the door had been fully revealed, I went to knock, but it opened before I had a chance. Severus stood looking confused yet mildly amused on the other side. Beckoning me in, he shut the door and went over to the desk, where a sizable stack of papers sat, clearly in the process of being marked.

"Well Amelia. I was not aware you were capable of such an early rise." He said, smiling at me softly.

"Oh Ha..." I said sarcastically. I took the album from my bag and showed it to him. "I am aware it is early, but I wanted to know how this made its way to the dress box. Hermione found it and almost saw what was in it until I took it from her." He grinned at me mischievously.

"I have no idea. Maybe it liked you and wanted to go back with you?" He replied. I laughed out loud before stepping closer to him.

"Very funny. Seriously though. Why did you give it to me?"

"I don't know." He said, shrugging apologetically. "I don't need it, and you seemed to enjoy looking through it so I just thought it would be better with you than me."

"Okay." I said, reaching behind him to the desk and looking at the top essay, noticing that they were 2nd year work, and not very good. Or at least the top one wasn't. I gently flicked my finger over the edge of the pile, revealing just how many he had to mark, and whistled.

"Yeah I know." He said. "I have a lot to do. I fell behind on work yesterday." I looked to him and nodded before splitting the pile in half, taking the bottom stack and taking one of the bottles of red ink that was near them, and walked over to the table. Severus watched me questioningly as I sat down and got my quill from my bag. Suddenly he realised what I meant to do. Coming behind me he put a hand on my shoulder.

"Oh no you don't it is not your responsibility to do this. I am the teacher here so I need to mark it. You don't need to feel as if you have to. I can handle it." I turned round in my chair and sat up on my knees so I was almost level with him.

"Professor Severus Snape. You are tired and I have time to waste. I want to help you. Also... It is good practice for me considering I want to teach here at some point." I admitted, and felt a small surge of pride at his smile.

"Really? You want to work here?"

"Yep." He looked to the pile of parchment behind me and shrugged.

"Okay then." He walked over to his desk and I turned around to start marking. I looked up in surprise as he sat down next to me. He raised his eyebrows and started marking his own pile. I smiled to myself and also got to work.

***

About an hour and a half later, I had finished my papers and the occasional door could be heard closing as people finally started waking up. I watched Severus mark his last few essays happily. We had not spoken during the whole time, but the silence had been... Companionable. And had suited us fine. I had started to feel slightly hungry during the last few essays, so I walked over to the kitchen and pot the kettle on the stove. After a quick search in the cupboards I managed to find some teabags and mugs, and had also come across the ingredients needed to make my breakfast special. Omelette. After looking to Severus, whose head was still bent over the table. I got to work.