Chapter 1

"We are now officially and legally your legal guardians!" Mr. T announces, walking through the front door waving papers above his head.

"Yay, legality! Now shush, Dad we're trying to play Egyptian Rat Screw," Michelle says. This is a game similar to Slap Jack, but with more opportunities to slap the cards than just when a jack appears.

"Good job, Padre. Only took you like, three months," Megan teases, setting her cards down so she can clap sarcastically at him.

I laugh and smile in the direction of Mr. T. In my moment of distraction, I failed to realize that I'd lost the opportunity to slap the deck of cards and get myself points.

"Haha!" Michelle laughs wickedly, gathering up her cards victoriously. "I am the MASTER of this game!"

Bridget rolls her eyes and gives Michelle the death glare. I purse my lips to hold in a laugh. This game always escalates quickly.

Then of course, what game doesn't? If there's one thing I've learned about this family- my family- they are extremely competitive.

I stare at the single card remaining in my hand. My turn rolls around and I smack the card down on top of the pile, then slap my hand back down on top in hopes that by some miracle, it's a valid hit. But it's not. I sit back on my heels, shrug, and sigh.

"Ah well," I sigh wistfully. "Guess I'll just go see what official papers Greg's got," I joke throwing a smile at Mr. T.

I will call Mr. And Mrs. Tolia both by their first names and just "Mr. and Mrs. T" from time to time. Maybe one day I'll call them Mom and Dad... I don't know. Does it make me still feel like some sort f an outcast? Is it weird for someone my age to be calling them by their first name? I try not to worry about that kind of stuff; they've been more than welcoming.

Mr. T loves it when I call him, well, Mr. T because I guess that's some movie reference or something.

"The papers aren't that interesting I'm sure," Michelle says. "Just states that you're 'officially' a member of this family according to the government. But what does the government know? You've been a part of this family since you came to live with us so..." she finishes nonchalantly before slapping the pile and gathering up the cards.

We all stare at her.

She looks up from the game and eyes us all curiously. "What?"

"That was deep, Michelle!" Bridget laughs.

It's true. That speech was not exactly what you'd expect Michelle to say. We all know she cares but, I don't know, she's just not touchy-feely.

"Quit staring!" Michelle demands, her cheeks quickly turning a bright shade of red. "I only speak the truth! Geez, you all act like I have no feelings." She grumbles the last part into her pile of cards. We all chuckle a little. I personally am afraid she actually was a little offended but Michelle's tough. A smile appears on her face and she rolls her eyes playfully.

I hop up from my spot on the floor and give Mr. T a big hug. He rubs my back fiercely and looks me in the eye with a huge grin.

"Now," he starts. "For business."

I timidly separate myself from him and bite my lip. "Yeah?"

"Young lady, we need to talk about what we're going to do about your education."

I sigh a long labored sigh. "I know, I know," I mumble.

"Dad, you can't make her go to school with kindergarteners!" Michelle insists.

"Who said anything about kindergartners?" Mr. T argues.

Everyone, including me, gives him blank stares.

"Dad... She hasn't exactly been to school since she was.... What? Eight?"

"Six..." I mutter.

Mr. T sighs. "Yeah, I know. But we'll get her caught up," he sighs. Then he turns to me and says, "Forget it Hon. We'll talk about it later when it's more necessary."

"Sparking of school, we are almost DONE WITH IT!!!!" Megan shouts victoriously, bringing her hand down on the card pile-a little too late as Bridget got there first. She flashes Megan a triumphant look and Megan sticks her tongue out at her.

"YAAASSS! Megan! Senior year here we come!" Michelle shouts before going in to high-five Megan.

I laugh while Bridget pouts about how she's only on her sophomore year.

I sigh again and purse my lips thinking. I honestly would love to go to school; meet some people, have a favorite subject. But only Heaven knows how I'll make up six years of my education without taking a class with seven year olds.

Don't get me wrong; I literally LOVE being around children. Just... Not when it's a constant reminder of how I'm six years behind people my age.

"Welp, I'm gonna go see what Lacy and Liam are doing!" I announce, making my way towards the basement.

"Okey dokey, see ya when I WIN!" Michelle cries. The threesome begin to get in a playful argument about who's actually going to win.

Shaking my head in amusement, I trot down the stairs. Rounding the corner at the bottom, I find Lacy and Liam playing with the toy kitchen.

"Lacy, Lacy listen for the last time you do NOT microwave waffles," Liam says sternly. He pays her on the shoulder gently as if this was a tough concept in school and he was reassuring her that she's get it eventually.

School invading my thoughts again...

I shake my head and walk over to the two little ones. "Hey guys, what's up?"

Lacy scowls and crosses her arms. Even with the harsh look, her voice still comes out timid. "Liam says waffles don't go in the microwave, but I think that I can put them there if I want."

Liam shrugs as of to say, I try to teach her, I really do. "She has to know the truth!"

I laugh. "Hey bud," I say run I g Liam's back. "How about Lacy invents the microwave waffle and you invent..." I look around the play set for any food I could use. "You could invent refrigerated soup!"

He gives me a weird look, furrowing his eyebrows. The he shrugs and says, "Sure whatever."

Lacy claps her hands the way she always does when she's excited. I sit back and watch the two of them go to work.

Psshhh, I think, Put me in school with the kindergarteners for all I care! Theses guys are fun! It doesn't matter, cause I've got a family again. I've got a home and if getting an education is one way to say thank you, so be it.