Chapter 6

"BRIDGET!"

I wake up suddenly, in a cold sweat. I'm panting and tears are streaming down my face as fast as they were the day I ran from school after witnessing the death of my mother and sister.

Bridget jolts awake in the bed across the room.

"Gen?"

I'm shaking so violently... Even in the dark I can see Bridget's concerned expression. She throws the covers off of her and quickly makes her way to my bed. She hops on and cradles me in her arms as I continue to shake and sob and shake and sob....

"Sssshhhhh," Bridget attempts to comfort me. I cling back onto her like I cling to life itself, thanking God that it was just a dream.

Just a dream... Just a dream... Bridget's still here, no one has a gun to her head...

She rocks me gently and continues cooing softly in my ear. My breaths are short and shaky until I can finally get control.

My breathing has returned to normal but I won't let go of Bridget. She continues to hold me right back, without a single question other than,

"You gonna be ok?"

She strokes my hair gently. Ugh, she does it just like Elena used to....

I nod but memories of Elena are coming flooding back and so the tears won't stop.

Aunt Cassie came and invaded my perfectly good new life. It's because of her I'm back to mourning and nightmares and...

I can almost forgive her for planning to give me up for adoption... Single mom, two kids. And after all, that day was just as bad for her as it was for me. But all of that aside, I don't completely trust her... And I can't put my finger on why. It's like a memory from my childhood that's faded and now all that's left is this... Feeling of distrust.

I let out a small whimper and bury my head in Bridget's chest. The questions I know she wants to ask are practically tangible, like they're burning inside her heart. But she remains silent. I'm so grateful she does. I just need to hold her; know she's here. The nightmares are always all too real.

I hear the door creak open behind me and I whip my head around to see Megan standing there.

"Hey," she whispers. "Everything alright?"

Bridget nods. "Bad dreams," she answers. "I've got this."

Megan bites her lip and looks at me as if she knows exactly what I'm feeling. "Sorry, Gen," she says before turning and leaving the room.

Finally Bridget can't contain herself anymore. "Wha... What'd you dream about?" she asks hesitantly.

I shiver a little at the thought and shake my head. "You really don't want to know."

She pushes away from me gently and looks at me sternly.

Oh my word she's exactly like Elena.

"Gen," she says, her own tears lingering in her eyes. "Gen, tell me. What happened, Gen? I don't want to push you but I want to help."

I bite my lip. "Bridget... It's in the past-"

"Then why does it still haunt you?" she looks at me with such hurt-filled and sorrowful eyes. I can't hold her gaze much longer. I look down at my hands.

"Look Bridget," I whisper. "I... I'll tell you. I promise. Just... Not tonight. Please."

I lift my eyes slightly so I can see her. She nods. "Ok."

She's about to get off my bed but I grab her arm and say, "Wait!"

"Yeah?"

"Would you... Sleep here with me?"

She lifts her mouth up in an attempt to smile and says, "Sure."

She hops back into the bed and snuggles with me...

Just like Elena used to.