Chapter 10

Taylor bought me some suitcases and things I would need for Japan. We were leaving in five days. We were meeting Gigi at twelve-thirty for lunch. It was currently eleven and we were shopping in a clothing store.
"We are going to be leaving Saturday at around ten at night. It's a fourteen hour plane ride and I was thinking we could try and sleep for a while." Taylor said.
"That's a good idea actually." I hadn't thought about sleeping to pass the time.
"I'll come help you pack on Friday if that's okay."
"Oh I'm good at packing, you really don't have to." Plus I'm ashamed of my small apartment and bad neighborhood because the agency is too cheap.
"I want to and you're packing for something a little different from a regular mission."
Well technically this whole thing is my "mission," but I didn't want to tell her that and hurt her feelings.
"Okay, thanks." I agreed.
Silence fell over us as Taylor scanned a shelf with nail polish on it. She kept glancing at me with a nervous look. It was like she was trying to figure out how to say something. That made me feel a bit nervous too. I picked up a dark red bottle of nail polish and tried to ignore the situation.
"Hey, um Alex. You're fifteen and stuff and um you know so um..." She trailed off.
I looked up at her.
"Yeah?" I asked.
"Well it's just we should probably get you some stuff for ya know that time of the month since we will be traveling. Don't be embarrassed to ever have to ask me for those things." She said.
"Oh, right. I don't get periods. They give me shots so I can't have them." I explained.
"Oh." She said picking up a pink bottle of polish and examining its label.
"They have your consent to give you those shots, right?" Taylor asked.
"All the female agents get them." I said.
"Yeah, but they are adults."
"I'm considered an adult." I said.
"Not legally. You don't get a choice do you?" Taylor asked with a hint of sadness in her voice.
"I have to I think."
"You don't have to though. They can't force you to compromise the chances of you having a child in the future. That's against the law."
"It's not a big deal. I'll never have children anyways."
"It is a big deal though. You're being forced to do things you didn't give them consent for. That's not okay."
"Don't worry. Can we just talk about something else?" I asked hopefully.
"Yeah. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pried like that." Taylor said.
"It's okay." I gave her a small reassuring smile.
We went back to shopping and having casual conversation quickly. I guess I can't blame Taylor for being a bit curious about my life. It was just a tough subject and one I tried not to bring up in my own mind.

"Hey ladies!" Gigi said as she sat down at the table.
"Hey girl!" Taylor said cheerfully while I gave my awkward greeting "hi."
"When are you leaving?" Gigi asked.
"Saturday night."
"How exciting!"
"It's going to be fun!" Taylor agreed.
"Have you been to Tokyo before?" Gigi asked me.
"Yeah, I've been there a few times."
"For work or was it a vacation?"
"It was for work."
"Do you get to go a lot of cool places?"
"I guess..." I never really enjoyed my travels.
"We are going to be eating with the crew Sunday at this really cool restaurant. I'll be braking out the chop sticks." Taylor said.
"I can't use chop sticks to save my life." Gigi joked.
"Hello ladies can I get you some drinks?" A waiter asked.
"I'll have a Pepsi," Gigi said.
"I'll have a diet coke." Taylor said.
"I'm gonna have water." I said.
"Okay and can I start you off with an appetizer?"
"The spinach and artichoke dip sounds good." Taylor commented.
"Oh my god yes I'm craving that!" Gigi moaned.
"Alex?" Taylor asked.
"Umm, sure. I've never had that before."
"Alright so we agreed on the spinach and artichoke dip?" He asked.
"Yes, thanks." Gigi said.
The waiter smiled and walked back into the kitchen area.
"You are a deprived child." Gigi joked.
"I know. She had stake for the first time last week." Taylor said.
"What do you eat?" Gigi asked.
"Um it depends. Sometimes it's soup, other times its like some grayish goop."
"What about vegetables and fruit?"
"Sometimes. We tend to focus our budget more on training, weapons, and missions. It's what's most important to us." I explain.
"That's mega weird. You're not a prisoner!" Gigi said.
"They should focus their money a bit more on the health of their agents." Taylor said with a twinge of anger in her voice.
I ignored her comment because I didn't really want to talk about it. Gigi seemed to notice that it struck a chord with Taylor.
"Your hair looks really pretty by the way." Gigi said.
"Thank you. Taylor did it."
"She has great hair!" Taylor said.
"It looks pretty thick." Gigi said thoughtfully.
"Here's your drinks and appetizer!" The waiter said cheerfully.
He set down the items and took out his note pad.
"Do we know what we want?" He asked.
"I'm going to have the house cheese burger with fries." Gigi said.
"I'll have the chicken wrap with fries." Taylor said.
"Ummm, I'll have the chicken tender basket please." I asked.
"The kids or adults?" He asked. I clenched my teeth a little.
"The adult please." Taylor said.
"Alright, I can get those menus out of your way. Holler if you need anything. My name is Aaron."
"Alright, thanks!" Taylor said
"You know if your career of kicking ass doesn't workout for you, modeling will. Don't you think, Taylor?" Gigi said.
I laughed at the thought of me being a model.
"I'm serious! You're in shape, you've got beautiful features, plus you've got that strait face thing down."
"She does look like a model." Taylor agreed.
"I mean you're 15? And how tall are you?" Gigi said.
"About 5'5 I think."
"It's a little short for now, but you've still got some growing left to do."
"Well it's nice to have a fall back, but I'll never need one." I said.
"I think it's a great idea. Just think you wouldn't have to worry about getting killed all the time." Taylor said.
"I love what I do. You guys are too much. It's a nice compliment though." I said with a laugh towards the end..
Taylor seemed really serious about it and I thought the concept was hilarious. I've never ever thought about having a fall back career. It sent shivers down my spine. I couldn't survive without the agency. The danger is a part of my life and all I know. I could never throw all that away. I could never go back go the streets.