Chapter 39

I sat on the bed in the Swift's guest room and watched the sky brighten. It was seven o'clock, but I had just woken up. I had been sleeping better since I was put on the medication. My nightmares weren't as frequent anymore. A soft knock sounded on the door.
"Come in." I said.
The door creaks open and Austin stands there in a t-shirt and flannel pants.
"I figured you'd be up."
"You figured right." I said.
"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go get coffee?"
"Um, sure."
"Okay I'll let you get ready and I'll be waiting in the living room."
I quickly threw on a pair of leggings and an oversized sweatshirt. My hair was okay, so I just ran a brush through it and brushed my teeth.
Austin was dressed for the cooler weather too and we went into the garage. We took his car and were off to get coffee. The drive was only about 15 minutes and consisted of listening to country radio.
"I don't always listen to country music, but when I do it's in Nashville." He laughs.
"Do you like country music?" He asks.
"Yeah I listen to it sometimes. Taylor's stuff is pretty good."
"What about Kenny Chesney? Tim McGraw? George Strait?" He asks.
"Um, I only know a few of their songs." I say.
"Man, I grew up on country music." He laughs.
We pulled up to a place called "Headquarters."
"This be it." Austin says. I get out of the car and we go in. The line to the counter only has a few people in it.
"What are you getting?" He asks.
"I'm not sure, what's good here?"
"Well, this place is known for their honey and sorghum cinnamon latte." He says.
"Well, then I'll have that." I say.
"What do you want to eat?"
"I'm not hungry right now."
"I don't think so. You need to order something. Taylor told me about the whole eating situation. You have to eat some breakfast." He says.
"Okay, fine. You're the expert on this place. What should I get?"
"They've got muffins, they've got cinnamon rolls, they've got scones..." he trails off.
"Go look in the case up there. I'll hold our place in line." He jokes since we're at the back still, but the line is moving along and we're about to the front.
I scanned the case and decided on a blueberry muffin. It was our turn in line and Austin called to me.
"Have you decided?"
"The blueberry muffin."
"Basic." Austin chuckles taking money out of his wallet.
I watch the barista make our drinks and get out breakfast out of the case.
"Here you go. Happy Thanksgiving!" She says.
We go sit down at a table by the window.
"So are you excited for today?" He asks.
"Sure." I say.
"What do you usually do on Thanksgiving?"
"Nothing, I don't usually even know when it is. I only know because of Taylor."
"Oh, well that's sad." Austin says.
"Not to me, I can't be sad about things I don't know." I shrugged.
"So, um, do you know how long you'll be here."
"In Nashville or..." I trailed off with a question lingering on my tongue.
"You know, with Taylor."
"I don't know, honestly. They don't tell me anything very far in advance."
"Do you think you'll be here for an entire year?"
"I don't know."
"Come on, you have to know a little bit."
"I don't, I'm sorry. I wish I could offer more."
"I don't want my sister getting hurt."
"I don't either. When I came here, I wasn't supposed to get this attached, but it happened. She pulled me in and while I wanted to push her away, I couldn't."
"Yeah, she's got that effect on people."
I laughed taking the last bite of my muffin and washing it down with the latte.
"I'm glad you're here with us, spending time and experiencing what it's like to be part of a family, but please tell her what's going on as soon as you know. She knows nothing lasts forever, she does better with things when she has a warning."
"I promise I'll make it as easy on her as possible." I say seriously.
"Good, now, we've got to get home to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade." He smiles.
"The what?"
"Lord child, you're clueless!" He laughs as we exit the coffee shop.

The sound of a timer going off, an electric knife cutting though turkey, and guys yelling at the TV screen as a football game played blasted through my senses and I felt a very warm feeling travel through my veins. This felt like a holiday, I realized.
"Is there anything I can do to help?" I had asked this question in various forms since Andrea started cooking, but she usually brushed me off saying, "No, honey, this is a mother's job on Thanksgiving. Just enjoy the holiday."
Taylor had managed to get her mom to let her slice the turkey.
"Actually, if you would like to set the table that would be great. The food is almost ready."
"I can do that!" I said and started setting plates and silverware out.
Taylor set the sliced turkey on the table and Andrea set the chicken and noodles out. They started bringing things over to the table.
"What are you drinking, Alex?"
"What's in the fridge?" I asked.
"Do you want a Diet Coke? I know you like that."
"Sure." I smiled.
The adults were drinking wine, but I was too young to have any alcohol, so I settled on soda. I've only had alcohol on a few occasions, usually when pretending to be someone I'm not, and sometimes when I'm on a mission and want to taste something different from water.
"Come on boys!" Andrea called to the guys in the living room.
They shuffled in, hungry and excited to eat. Once we were all sitting down, Scott spoke up.
"So, every year we go around and say what we're thankful for before we eat. I'll start incase this is putting Adam and Alex on the spot." He chucked before continuing.
"I am thankful for my wife and children of course and that your careers in acting and singing are excelling. I'm proud of you guys." He said.
Andrea went next, "I'm thankful for my family and our good health. I'm thankful for our happiness and that we are enjoying this holiday together despite Taylor's busy schedule."
"I'll go," Austin speaks.
"I'm thankful for my career starting to take off. Acting is my passion. I'm thankful for the support my family has given me to keep pushing forward."
Taylor went next, "I'm thankful for my family and that Alex is here to spend this holiday with us. I'm thankful for my boyfriend for loving and supporting me. I'm thankful for my success and for all the happiness this tour and having Alex and Adam now in my life has brought me."
Adam followed up saying, "I'm thankful for Taylor and for you guys being a great family."
I was the last one to go, "I'm thankful for Taylor and the life she has given me since I came to be her bodyguard. I'm thankful for her showing me love and helping me through some of my issues. I'm thankful for her bringing me here to be apart of a family holiday." I say.
They all smile at me for my words of thankfulness.
"Alright!" Austin claps his hands together.
"Let's eat!" He says.
Everyone digs in, passing around the different dishes spread out on the table. From the turnkey to the cranberry sauce to the pumpkin pie, this was thanksgiving and it was the warmest day of my life thus far.