Chapter 29

"CATS AND GENTLEMEN, THE GORGEOUS ASS KICKING ALEX!" Taylor announced as I came around the corner to come down stairs.
"Wow!" Adam whistled.
I rolled my eyes.
"My little baby is all grown up going on her first date." Taylor wiped a fake tear away.
"They do grow up so fast. You just blink and suddenly they are married." Adam added.
"Well don't blink too much." I said sarcastically.
"If it worked that way my eyes would have dried up and and fallen out of my head a long time ago." Taylor said.
"You do look beautiful, Shawn is a lucky guy." Adam said.
"Thank you."
"You let me know if he hurts your feelings. I'll put him in his place."
"Thanks, but I think I've got that part covered."
"You're right." He laughed.
"Miss Swift, Shawn Mendes is at the door."
"This is it! It's going to be great. Tell me all about it when you get home! Have fun!" Taylor gushed.
"Thanks for your help." I said.
"Anytime." She smiled.
I went to the door and Shawn was waiting anxiously with his hands in his dress pants pockets. A smile spread wide across his face when the door swung open.
"Wow! You look great! Like, so pretty." His face reddens as he compliments me.
"You aren't so bad yourself." I smirk.
"Thanks, um are you ready?"
"I am."
He held out an arm for me.
"Madam." He jokes.
I roll my eyes and take his arm and he leads me out to the car. A few people are outside taking pictures.
He opened the car door for me.
"I'd rather you get in first." I said.
"Come on, it's a date. I'll be okay." He said.
I contemplated for a moment before getting in and allowing him to shut the door before going around to the driver's side.
He started the car and awkward silence fell between us.
"So, um, is Italian okay?" He asked.
"Yeah, I'll eat whatever."
"Great!" He blushed.
More awkward silence.
"So what have you been up to?" He asks.
"We flew back last night. We've just stayed home today."
"Oh, cool, cool. Have you done any bodyguard things lately?"
"Not really, everyone at the concerts have been pretty well behaved."
"That's good, it makes your life easier I'm sure."
"It makes Taylor's life easier. It's my job." I shrug.
"You guys seem close."
"We are. I was kind of a bitch to her in the beginning. I can honestly say I regret that. She's a lot different than I made her out to be."
"She is a great person."
"Yeah, she really is. The media makes her out to be someone totally different."
"That's what the media does best."
"You don't have any problems with your image do you?"
"Not really. Lots of dating rumor...gay rumors." He laughs.
"It's okay though, I think everyone in the spot light has been accused of it. At least when you type "is Shawn Mendez" on twitter "dead" doesn't pop up yet."
"That is true!"
"So have you had boyfriends before?"
"No, I don't have the time nor the interest for the guys on base. Plus, they are all older than me except for a one, but he's a dick."
"How so?"
"I don't know. He just thinks he's better than me and that I'm so into him. He's got a big head."
"Is it hard being the only girl your age?"
"'Not really. It's all I know. Anyways, believe it or not, the grown ass female agents are very dramatic. I always over hear their conversations about what they did last night and with who. They're always getting their feelings hurt. I guess they look for more than just sex."
"I would hope that more people would look for more than just sex."
"You'd be surprised. I'm surrounded by young hormonal men."
"Here we are." He said pulling into the parking lot.
We parked and I reached for my door.
"I've got it!" He said and ran around the front of the car.
I laughed at the act, but it was nice.
He grabbed my hand. I started to pull away as a habit of being touched without permission.
He let go.
"I'm sorry. I-I didn't think that-"
I grabbed his hand.
"It's fine. It's an instinct." I smile reassuringly.
We went inside the restaurant, the host took us to our reserved table. A candle was in the middle of the table. It was the classic romantic cliche.
He pulls out my chair and helps me in, I don't think he knows how nice that is.
"Thank you."
"You're welcome." His face floods with blush once more.
"Are you enjoying the tour?" I ask.
"Yes, I'm so grateful for the opportunity and the crowds."
"It's a loud crowd."
"Yeah, its crazy."
"Good evening, can I interest you in a glass of wine?" The waiter asked.
"No thank you, I'll take a Coke please." He says.
"Diet Coke please." I say when the waiter motions to me.
We looked over the menus while the waiter left to get the drinks.
"What are you getting?" He asks me.
"Umm, I think the lasagna."
"Cool, I'm going to get the spaghetti."
Every time he smiled up at me I felt something inside. My heart sped up a little bit. This must be what a crush is.
The night continued with him making jokes and me countering his conversations. I smiled a lot and laughed and so did he. Time flew by and we sat there talking an hour after our food was gone. I was having a great time.
At the end of the night, he pulled up in front of Taylor's apartment and came around to open my door. Tons of cameras were flashing and he put an arm around my waist and pulled me to his side. He was trying to protect me.
Oh Shawn.
When we got between the two doors he smiled down at me.
"I had a great time tonight." He said.
"So did I." I admit.
"Thank you for everything." I continue.
"Thanks for being my beautiful date." He said.
I felt MY cheeks heat up.
He stepped forward and pulled me to his chest and placed a kiss on top my head. My head was spinning.
"Goodnight, Shawn." I said when we pulled away.
"Goodnight, Alex." He said.
I entered the apartment with one last wave. A huge smile spread across my face.
"Someone is happy!" Came Taylor's voice, a smile played on her lips.
"Thanks for encouraging me to do that."
"My pleasure." She said.
"Now, tell me everything!" She said.