Chapter 13

I was the first to wake at 5:00. The sky was an odd dark shade, but the view from up so high was amazing. Taylor's proposition for me kept surging through my mind. I didn't want to get too close for comfort. Taylor seemed so sure about the idea. She seems to really like having me around, but I know it can't last forever. I just don't want Taylor to get hurt. It was nice to have some quiet time for a little while. My alone time seems to be dwindling.
I heard movement and searched the plane for the source. Austin was going to the bathroom. I don't think he knew I was awake. Scott and Andrea were sleeping on opposite sides of the plane. I'm not an expert in love, but I know tension when I see it. Taylor never mentioned they were separated.
The bathroom door opened and Austin came walking out still dazed from sleep. He caught sight of me with a confused look. I looked back out the window to ease the awkward situation. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him approach. He sat down next to me.
"Hey what are you doing up do early?"
"It's nearly 6, that's hardly early. Why are you up?"
"I had to go to the bathroom."
I nodded and glanced around the plane.
"Do you want some breakfast? Are you hungry?"
"No."
"Are you sure? I can have the flight attendant get you something."
"Nah, I usually eat around 7 or 8 at Taylor's anyways."
"She thinks the world of you, you know that right?"
I shook my head.
"What? It's true."
"I just don't understand why."
"Why wouldn't she?" He asked.
"I'm not the great person everyone thinks I am."
"What do you mean?"
"I'm just not! Okay?" I snapped.
"Woah." He said taken aback.
I put my head in my hands.
"Are you a danger to my sister?" He asked cautiously.
"No, no I'm not. I would never hurt Taylor." He had to believe that I would never harm Taylor.
"Okay, I figured you weren't."
I rested my elbows on my knees and put my head in my hands trying to calm down. I don't want anyone to doubt my abilities to do my job. My job is my life.
Austin rested a hand on my back and I flinched because I wasn't expecting that. He pulled his hand back slightly.
"Hey," he said softly rubbing his hand up and down my back.
"Are you alright?"
"Yes, I'm fine." I said.
"Are you sure? You seem stressed. Do you want me to get Taylor?"
"No don't. I'm okay."
"Is all of this too much for you? The family and all?"
"No it's not that."
"Then what is it?"
"I can't explain it. Can we just forget about this, please?"
He studied me for a moment like he was trying to see through my eyes.
"Okay," he sighed, "but let me know when you want to talk. You can't hold this in forever."
"Don't worry about it and please don't tell anyone about this. Especially not Taylor."
"I won't. That's your choice."
"Thank you." I said.
I looked out the widow again in hopes that he would leave me alone.
"So what do you think of Adam?" He asked me.
"He's nice."
"Yeah, he seems like a good guy. My parents really like him."
"Yeah, he seems perfect for Taylor."
"There was this one guy she dated, his name was John and we all hated him so much. That was a few years ago."
"Why didn't you like him?"
"For starters I though he was too old for her. She was 19 then and he was like 31. He was rude to her a lot. Pushed her around. I mean he never physically hurt her or anything, but she was always upset and crying. I was glad they broke up, not to sound terrible or anything. They just weren't good for each other."
"I'm glad he never got physical with her or I might of had to get physical with him."
He laughed and I smiled a little. Maybe it wasn't so bad that he stayed sitting here with me.
"You've met some of Taylor's friends right?"
"Yeah, Martha, Selena, Karlie, and Gigi."
"You haven't met any of the Haim sisters?"
"No."
"Well they will be the opening act at a few of the shows. They are Taylor's friends."
"She's got a lot of friends."
"Yeah, I'm glad for her. What about you? Got any good friends?"
"Nope."
"What? Why not?"
"All the other agents are older than me."
"What about before you became an agent?"
"No."
"Didn't you go to school?"
"Yeah for a couple years. I was an outcast I guess."
"So are you like crazy smart since to finished high school grade stuff when you were 10?"
"Well I was pushing eleven."
He laughed at the blunt joke.
"I learned the basics. I needed to focus more on training."
"So no algebra?"
"Not too much of it. I learned coding and I know how to defuse a bomb. That's more important than math to me."
"Coding? Why would you need to learn about that?"
"So I can hack into devices."
"So you're a computer geek too? Impressive."
"I wouldn't go that far, but I can hack into any file I want in the FBI, CIA, and even the White House."
"Why would you hack into the White House?"
"Just for something to do I guess."
"Oh yeah, 'I'm kind of bored so I'm just going to hack into the White House because it'll be fun!'"
I laughed at his stupid impression of me.
"I don't do it a lot."
"Does the president know?"
"No. What he doesn't know won't hurt him."
"Oh my god you are EPIC!"
"If you say so."
"Have you been sky diving?"
"Yeah."
"Tell me about it!"
"Which time?"
"Which time? How many time have you done it?"
"I lost count after 10."
"Holy crap."
"It's no biggie."
"Why are you so cool? Like it should be illegal to be that cool!"
"Almost everything I do is legal for me, including my level of coolness."
Our conversation kept going until everybody else started waking up. The sun was setting in the sky because of the time change. I nearly had mistaken it as a sunrise. I'm losing it.
Taylor came up to us. Her hair was tossed a little.
"Good morning, sleeping beauty." Austin teased her.
Taylor hit him playfully on the shoulder.
"There you are, Alex. How long have you been awake?"
"Since 5:00."
"You get up really early. Have you had breakfast?"
"No."
"Com'n lets get some breakfast." She said.
Austin stood up and so did I. We all sat around a table like area and a flight attendant brought out a cart of food."
Everyone got a plate of pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, and fresh fruit. The lady asked us if we wanted milk, orange juice, apple juice, grape juice, or coffee. I asked for grape juice. It is honestly the best thing ever!
"I didn't know you liked grape juice." Taylor said.
"Oh, I don't get it often, but it's really good."
"I'll keep that in mind." She said.
"You don't have to-"
"I want to." She said.
I didn't argue with her because it never worked when we went shopping.
"These pancakes are delicious." Scott said.
"I know." Austin said.
Taylor started talking about the places we were planing to visit in Japan. It was strange sitting around a table eating breakfast with Taylor's family. I didn't belong. It was like an I spy book and I stuck out like a sore thumb. I don't remember the last time (if it ever even happened) that I sat down and ate a "family" meal like this. Taylor looked really content though. She smiled at me when she seen me studying the scene. She knew I hadn't seen something like this in a while.