With Just One Kiss, I've Fallin'

Alice

-twenty two weeks pregnant-

Then you're on your very first date and he's got a car, and you're feeling like flying, and your mama's waiting up and you're thinking he's the one. And you're dancing 'round the room when the night ends, when the night ends- Taylor Swift

He asked me out. He asked me out on a date. I'm going out with someone and it feels amazing! I'm going out with someone who doesn't have ginger hair. Someone other than Ed. A guy, Oscar, who has black hair and blue eyes and enjoys school and can't sing.

My heart was beating in my chest, loud. To the point where I felt like everyone could hear it. I couldn't sleep and I was thankful for the weekend so I didn't have school and I didn't have to force sleep on my wide awake body. 

I didn't have anything to say, like usual. Oscar hasn't called or messaged me since he left four hours before and I didn't mind one bit. My heart was still flying and my head still felt empty and my smile was never ending. It felt like a million, little stars were shining through my window just for me. 

I skipped down the stairs and through the doorway for the kitchen. My mother was reading a novel, sipping tea, but when she heard me she looked up. My mum must've known what had happened, like she could tell. She wore a smirk and gave me that one look she always had when Ed was around and I was all giddy. 

I took a seat across from her and crossed my legs and hands. I smiled brightly as she put her book down. I waited for her to say something, anything. I felt like I was coming undone. Like I was in some type of dream as my head spun and my toes curled and my heart skipped a beat. 

"Why are you so elated, Alice?" she asks. 

"I'm always like this," I say, "why do you ask?" 

"Is this about a boy?" 

"How did you know!?" I joke. 

"Oscar?" she asks and I nod slowly. 

"He asked me out!" I couldn't hold back any longer. I let it out and she jumped up. 

"No way." she says, leaning down to hug me excitedly. 

I wish he was here. I wish I could touch him and he would just sweep me up. I wish we could have another movie night and watch corny love stories and laugh at them together. I wish Oscar would just lean down and push him lips to mine, for the first time and the sparks would fly around us and I wouldn't want him to go home. 

My mother shuffled over to the cabinets and rummaged for my favorite tea. I leaned my head back and rested my hands on my growing tummy. I say, "He is just so perfect, mum. He is sweet and sincere and manly." 

"He seems like a great guy, honey." she says and I nod. 

That is exactly how I feel. He is amazing. The way his eyes  shine and the way his smile is shaped in a cute, but crooked way. I can't help but get caught up in him.

I munch on the tiny candies my mother always had out, even when Adam and I were children. I say, "He asked me earlier when we were folding baby clothes. He looked shy almost and I knew, from that moment, I wasn't going to deny any feelings for him..." 

"Oh, boy. You're always insane when you're in love. Somewhat how I was when I was your age." 

"It's been so long since my stomach did jumps and twists." I admit, my smile wider and wider as I think about the events from before. 

"Is this a better feeling than you had with Ed?" 

"No, not yet. I just feel like it will take a little bit for Oscar and I to be, you know, fully in love...I guess. Meredith and him just broke up also and they were together almost as long as Ed and I.' I answer and she nods. "I liked Ed before I even met him, mum."