The Way I Loved You

Ed

It's been a while since the two of us talked. About a week since the day that you walked. Knowing things would never be the same with your empty heart and mine full of pain. So, explain to me, how it came to this. Take it back to the night we kissed. It was Dublin city on a Friday night with vodkas and coke, I was Guinness all night- The Script

I couldn't have helped the smile that started radiating from my face once I took a seat at the round table with the beige tablecloth. My fingers were tied together, my round knuckles turning white. Every chance I got, I'd sneak a peak at her. I couldn't tell whether she was flabbergasted I was here, or she already expected something major like this. 

I still couldn't believe Alice was here and I couldn't believe I sat down and acted like it was nothing. When, deep inside, my heart was yearning for her touch. 

They were ordering and her boyfriend seemed preoccupied with something else. Me, maybe. I remember him, though. The guy that was always there...walking with her or what not. What's-his-name. Oliver? Oscar? Christopher? I hadn't a clue. 

Then, I realized that he's the guy from the airport! The one so in need of small talk. I chuckle to myself...no wonder why he was freaking out once he saw that it was me, his girlfriends famous ex. 

"Ed!" Charlotte says and my head shoots up from my lap. I smile this odd smile that I haven't had in weeks, or months. Something goofy about it. 

"Yes?" I ask, giving a small laugh. 

"What are you ordering?" 

"Just chips..." I say nonchalantly.

The waiter eyed me for a moment before saying, "Sir, we don't have chips." 

"Um, do you like call them..." I shoot Carter a look. What did they call stupid chips in America anyway. He snubbed me, though, ignoring my questionable look. 

Oliver-Oscar-Christopher answers, which shocks me. He buts in and say, "Do you call them French Fries here or something?" 

So, he's American. Figures. 

"Sorry, but we don't serve French fries..." the guy says and I scoff. 

Sarcastically, I roll my eyes and say, "Fine, give me your most delectable dish." 

"Very well." 

He collects our menus, and goes on his way. I glare at him back awhile before I turn around and catch Alice giving me a funny look as she laughs. 

I give her a moment to finish before I ask, "Why are you here?" 

"Oh, Oscar-" she starts, but he cuts her off. Of course. Don't let her finish, ever, I see. You're that kind of bloke. Oh, and I must say I was close. I was thinking Oscar!

"I brought her here for a baby moon..." he smiles cheekily her way. It's completely fake. It's a dig at me that says she belongs to him now. That they're an item. I'm not welcome. I'm staying though and I'm going to act like I'm just as much wanted here than him. It's true though...she loves me, not him. 

I raise my eyebrows, "You paid for this trip? Or did your parents? I brought Carter and Charlotte here...for a vacation. They need to rekindle their relationship." 

Charlotte cuts in and says, "Yes, and thank you Ed." 

"They fight often...but a couple who fights more shows that they care." I state. 

Oscar gives me a curt nod, then gives Alice another look, but she isn't paying attention. Her eyes are set on me. "Allie and I never fight." 

"You know who taught me that about the fighting?!" I ask, feeling quite amused.