Stress Headache

Ed

I laid on the floor and Nina sat on my lower back. Her hands working magic as she rubbed the parts that ached. Only I would get back pain in my twenties. I sighed contently. “My back always hurts when it’s going to rain. I think I’m psychic or something.” I joked.

“At least it isn’t your boobs. Am I right?” she joked. All in reference to Mean Girls – one of her favorite movies. “My arm does the same, actually.”

“Do you have a theory to why?” I asked. Groaning as the tension of my muscles finally relaxes.

I wondered what it would look like if someone would’ve walked in at that moment.

“I once broke my arm rollerblading down a steep hill, getting pulled by a skipping rope, shouting faster.” She laughed. “I was a pretty fearless child.”

“Badass.” I retorted.

“When do you have to leave?” she asks.

With a shaken voice caused by her movements, I said, “Whenever I get the call that I need to be back.” Then, I realized that wasn’t true. It wasn’t like the old days, years ago. I had things to do – stuff that has been planned. Meetings and gigs. “Well, I know I have a gig in Nashville on the 19th and I have an opportunity to start recording the second album sometime next week.”

The 19th was in two days. I promised her a week, but sadly my stay would only be four days. A day longer than a weekend.

She stopped kneading my back with her knuckles. Nina didn’t move a muscle, and I’m pretty sure she even stopped breathing, as she said, “I thought you said a little over a week… Or at least a fucking week.”

“It’s almost a week, babe.”

“Four days.” She corrected, her voice sharp. “And don’t call me fucking babe right now.”

“Nina, it is one day off of a work week.”

“Ed,” she mocked, rolling off my back. Resting my head in my hands, I peered up at her. “You promised a week together.”

“I know and I’m sorry. Nina, I swear it won’t always be this hectic. Once everything cools down, I’ll come see you every weekend.”

“Two days every time you get a chance?”

That wasn’t enough…

“Stop worrying, Nina. Really. I’ll get months off at a time. Only doing an interview here and there. Then, we can spend weeks together…” I promised. “I can record my album here and we’ll be together. We’ll perform gigs nearby and we’ll do so many things, there won’t be anything left.”

She didn’t buy it. Nina sighs, crosses her feet underneath her butt, and asks, “Why can’t you just take me with you? I won’t fuck shit up if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“I thought you said you wanted to make a name for yourself…”

“That doesn’t mean shit, Ed. That has nothing to do with taking me with you! We don’t have to act like a couple.”

“I’m sorry…” and she shook her head, eyes glassed over.

And just like I had said, I was gone two days later. The next day, Nina and I took the night train back to Edinburgh and I took a flight back to America where we landed in Nashville. Back in a similar hotel room from before and days spent wondering streets in a small disguise. Secretly hoping people recognize me. Until I was needed on another plane and to another city, I was homebound with Taylor in Tennessee.