Chapter 20

(Peter's POV)

Jules and I went our separate ways after that. I spent most of the day on my office doing general research. She spent the day with the lost boys, but I would check up on them every once in a while.

She knew how to build things very well. She helped them build some new arrows, and went to watch them hunt. I'm glad she was warming up to them, and them her.

Soon it was dark and everyone was sitting around the fire telling stories, including me. I was laughing at the story Jack just told, and my stomach started to feel like it was burning. I dazed off clutching my stomach. I stood up to walk to my room but halted when it turned into a sharp pain.

"Hey are you okay?" Jules said. I could barely get out words, and zapped myself to my cabin with my remaining energy.

I slammed my elbows on the wall leaning my head down. The pain was at its worst now, spreading down my legs and arms. It ended with a splitting headache, then stopped. I don't know what happened.

I gathered myself together and walked out of the cabin next door to my office. In between buildings a couple boys tried to get my attention asking me what happened. I ignored them and strode into the office slamming the door.

I walked behind my desk and flung open the drawer. I rummaged through and pulled out a book called Signs. I turned to the contents and flipped to the chapter called Pains.
I scanned through and stopped on a sentence.

Intense burning sensation into sharp stabbing pains, in different areas of the body-ultimately the start of declining magic.

My mouth fell open. I scanned the rest of the page and slammed the book shut. I paced the room and ran my fingers through my hair in frustration.

I searched the shelves for another book, Guide to Magic. I flipped to the last couple of pages titled Fading.

It couldn't tell me much except, for every magical being, there was one thing; object or person/animal, that was destined to stop your magic. Not many people came across this thing, but some did. Some case it was by the work of traders who wanted someone gone, and tried to acquaint them with the object. And they paid a great deal for it.

I sat down in my chair and sunk back deep into it. I thought for some time about what this thing could be. I ended up with nothing.

It wasn't that late, so I went back to join them by the fire. I walked out looking at the ground, when I looked up the first person I saw was Julianna. She was leaning her head on her hand in deep thought.

I sat next to Felix, across from her. "You alright?" Felix said. "Fine. Wasn't feeling good for a second there." I said. Julianna stared at me with a blank face trying to read me. Her brows were knitted together, and her eyes were slightly narrowed.

Two boys called Felix over. He got up and left my side, and I moved next to Julianna.
Her eyes followed me as I sat down next to her. She adjusted herself criss-cross on the bench, facing me.

I stared deep into the fire. "Trying to figure me out are you?" I said to her. "Trying, yes. I'm finding it rather hard." She said. "That's because it's impossible." I said, I looked at her and back at the fire. "I'll figure it out." She said. She moved in her spot now facing the fire like me, and we sat in silence for a while.

"Wait," she said. "Yes, love?" I said. "I was doing it wrong." She said. I looked at her confused. "Your face isn't readable, but your hands are." She said. I looked down and realized I've been fiddling with my fingers for the past 15 minutes.

She grabbed one and opened it, showing my palm to her. They were dry and cracked, some spots almost bleeding. She let go, "Why are you nervous?" She said. "I'm really not." I lied and shook my head. She looked at me like she just wasn't buying it.

She sighed, "Fine, you don't have to tell me I get it. You're a very reserved person." She said, and I hung on to every word falling off her tongue. "Mhm, tell me more what you think of me." I said eagerly, turning to face her.

"You'd rather be on your own." She said. "And you don't think anyone can help you, because you can figure it out on your own." She added. "Indeed, what else?" I said, a smirk rising onto my face. "And you do want help, but you don't think anyone's good enough." She sighed into her words, and ended with a smirk, satisfied with herself.

She got up and started to walk to her room, "Come to me when you're ready to tell me what's bothering you." She said. My face followed her as she walked off, wanting her to say more to me. Mm how I wanted her. To show her love, loyalty, respect. And to treat her like she deserved.

I went to my room and collapsed on my bed falling asleep.

I wanna add more to this chapter, but it will end up being super long. So I'm gonna write another one right now!! Stay tuned it's gonna be 😵😵