Chapter 26

(Julianna's POV)

I blinked my eyes open and jumped, "Time to get up love." Peter said with a smirk. I looked out the window and it was still pitch black outside. I sat up, "What time is it?" I asked. "Mm, four A.M. maybe?"

I fell back on my side and closed my eyes. He took a few steps back and put his arms behind his back, "I'm not going to force you up, but I will say that you are missing valuable training time."

I sighed and moved to sit on the edge of the bed. I slipped on my boots and laced them up while glaring at him.

I walked out the door and he followed behind me, "Not an early bird I presume." he said. "The suns not even up yet." I told him. "We like to get an early start here, to get the most out of the day." He said. "You'll learn soon."

Even though it was dark, the area was pretty well lit up by the lanterns outside all the cabins, and a few hanging from the trees.

The place was busy, boys walked in all directions, a couple holding torches and some with supplies.

If you looked at their eyes, they looked tired. But they still worked hard. I stood watching as they loaded bags, sharpened blades on swords and knives.

"They're preparing for today's training...brilliant, isn't it? They're like little workers in a beehive." He said. I didn't answer, too involved in watching them.

He started walking off, "Come." He said and motioned his arm for me to follow him. I caught up to him as we stopped at a table. He walked to the other side of it, and pulled a backpack out from underneath.

He pushed it across the table to me, and he pulled out more things and put them on the table. I put them in the bag one by one as he introduced them.

He handed me a small notebook and a pen, "I want you to sketch anything unusual that you see in here. Plants, animals, stuff like that." I nodded.

Next he handed me a knife in a leather pouch, "If you need to cut anyone out of something, also to protect yourself." He said.

He handed me a couple more things like bandages, water, and the healing medicine he used on me.

I zipped it up and slung it over my back. "You'll start with something relatively easy, to get to know the surroundings more. Felix will take you into the forest, along with a few others." He said. "Okay."

"They're going to be hunting, you can just watch that part. But soon you'll be able to do it." I stared at him. "You seem completely unamused." He said. "What's wrong."

I shook my head. "Just tired-" I said looking away. "Where's Felix?" Peter looked to the side and Felix walked up. He whispered something to him but I couldn't hear. "Let's go." Felix said walking off, and I followed.

*****

We walked pretty deep into the jungle, some parts I've never been in before. Along the way, we stopped several times if one of the boys saw a small animal. Then they would shoot it and put it in a bag.

Felix had a large piece of paper and he was scribbling on it most of the time. He said it was a map of the island, but not all of it was complete. He would get so annoyed when I tried to talk to him, or ask him a question. And he treated me like a stupid little girl who didn't know anything.

I talked to some of the boys on the way. Some of them were nice, only very few. They kept a conversation. But most  just said one word and kind of shoved me off.

Eventually we stopped to split up. "Alright everyone. 20 minutes, no more, and we meet right back here." Felix said, as he tied a red string around a tree. The boys went in different directions and Felix came over to me,

"Oh, how far do they go out?" I asked. "They know not to go farther than about 40 feet of the perimeter. You will be splitting up too." He said. "This would be the time to fill up some of that journal. And defiantly not ready to hunt yet so don't worry about that." I saw him roll his eyes.

I turned around and looking for something, unusual. It had been about ten minutes and I'd yet to find anything. I sat down leaning back on my hands, it felt good to rest.

A heard a faint noise, and couldn't classify what it was. I looked up at a tree and saw a little white thing on a branch. I got up and walked closer to see it better. It was a very tiny pale creature with grey hair, and huge, dark green eyes. His, or her, ears were pointed, and it's features looked like the ones of a baby.

It had two legs and two arms but walked on all fours. It stood up on its lets and walked a little closer to me, and smiled. I smiled back and watched it for a little. Then I got the journal from my bag and began drawing it the best I could.

Soon enough I heard a loud whistle. I shut the book and waved goodbye to the creature, and it waved back making another small noise.

I attached a picture of the creature Jules saw. It's so adorable.