Chapter 16

Paige POV

Once again, I come home to an empty house. I try calling my dad, but I get no answer.

The constant worrying about him is really starting to tear me up on the inside. I go to my room and sit there. I start panicking as it feels like the walls are crashing down on me.

I feel like I'm starting to live a double life. Outside these walls I'm extremely happy, but once I enter my house everything changes. My house is starting to suck the life out of me and soon it's going to show outside these walls.

I decided to reach out to my mom. I have not heard from her since the day she was randomly in town the first day Jordyn and I worked on our project.

The phone rings a couple of times before I hear my mom's voice.

"Paige, I have been meaning to call you." She instantly says not letting me say a word. "You are coming to my house for the two weeks you are off for Christmas break."

"What?" I shout. "No!"

"It's not up to you. I'll see you soon." My mom hangs up.

She didn't give me a chance to explain why I called. I would have wasted my breath telling her. She doesn't care. I don't understand why she cares if I'm there or not.

I don't know how either of my parents feel about me anymore. It's quite lonely.

The next morning when I wake up, I go straight upstairs. Of course, there is no sign of my dad. I'm not even sure if he bothered coming home last night. I try to call him again, but he doesn't answer.

I get ready for school and leave the house. At least for now school can be an outlet.

I pull into the school parking lot. I noticed right away that there were eyes on me. I walk through the parking lot towards the building with eyes constantly on me. What is with all the attention? Did someone see my day sleeping somewhere? Did he ask one of these people to get him alcohol?

I walk into the school and hear people snickering when I go by. I can't hear what anyone is saying though. I get to my locker and don't see Alexis anywhere. A breeze goes by me. I turn my head to see Scott is leaning on the locker beside mine.

"What do you want?" I didn't attempt to hide my annoyance.

He does his half grin. It makes me want to slap him.

"Why didn't you tell me you swung for the other team? I would love to get a front row viewing."

I slam my locker and stare at him. "What the hell are you talking about?"

He starts to laugh. "Word on the street is Paige Gregory is a lesbian."

I look around and see people are staring at me. This must be why I'm getting the random attention when I got here.

"Where did you hear that from?"

"Someone saw you this weekend." He tells me. "They said you were dancing all over some blonde chick with your tongue down her throat most of the time."

If he referred to the other girl as a blonde chick that means he has no idea about Jordyn.

With all the stress about my dad, I don't fight it. "You caught me."

Scott's face looked surprised when I didn't deny it. He leans in and it looks like he was trying to kiss me.

I put my hand up to stop him. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Come on Paige, don't act like some chick is better than me." He grabs his nuts and makes a gesture towards me.

I hit him in the arm and walked away.